VCE Physics 2006 Exam Q3: Transistor Questions

• Thread starter sanado
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistor
In summary, Question 3 on page 13 of the 2006 VCE Physics exam involves analyzing a circuit with a capacitor C_out, which filters out any DC component. To find the output, treat the capacitor as an ideal high-pass filter, passing the AC waveform but not the DC. It is also suggested to divide the circuit into DC mode and AC mode, with AC mode analysis being sufficient to answer the question.
sanado
Sorry i couldn't get a copy and paste of the question, but it is as followed on the link:

http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/studies/physics/pastexams/2006/physics1w06.pdf

Question 3 on the electronics section, page 13.

I got no ideas how to solve this. I wouldve assumed that there would be a DC compenant to the answer of this question but apparently there isnt. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
The capacitor C_out will filter out any DC component.

I would first find the waveform at point 3. Then, to find the output, treat the capacitor as an ideal high-pass filter that passes the AC waveform but not the DC.

Hopefully you were able to do question #'s 1 and 2 already. I find those helped my brain to "get into the flow" before I was able to think about #3.

sanado said:
Sorry i couldn't get a copy and paste of the question, but it is as followed on the link:

http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/studies/physics/pastexams/2006/physics1w06.pdf

Question 3 on the electronics section, page 13.

I got no ideas how to solve this. I wouldve assumed that there would be a DC compenant to the answer of this question but apparently there isnt. Please help

Another suggestion, you can try to divide this circuit into DC mode and AC mode.
In AC mode, for example, Cin is regarded as short connection. So Vin connects to the base of transistor directly.

To answer Question 3, you only need AC mode analysis.

1. What is a transistor?

A transistor is a semiconductor device that acts as an electronic switch or amplifier. It is made up of three layers of material, usually silicon, and can control the flow of electricity through it by using a small amount of electrical current.

2. What is the purpose of this question on the VCE Physics 2006 exam?

This question is designed to test the students' knowledge and understanding of how transistors work and their application in electronic devices. It also assesses their ability to solve problems related to transistors and their characteristics.

3. What are the key concepts that need to be understood to answer this question correctly?

In order to answer this question correctly, students must have a clear understanding of the structure and operation of transistors, including the three different regions (base, emitter, and collector) and the flow of current through these regions. They must also be familiar with the concepts of current, voltage, and resistance, and how they relate to transistors.

4. Are transistors still relevant in modern technology?

Yes, transistors are still widely used in modern technology. They are essential components in electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and televisions. They have also played a crucial role in the development of microchips and integrated circuits, which are essential in today's digital age.

5. How can I prepare for questions like this on the VCE Physics exam?

To prepare for questions on transistors, it is important to thoroughly understand the concepts and principles behind their operation. This can be achieved through studying and practicing with past exam questions, as well as utilizing resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. It is also helpful to have a solid understanding of basic physics principles, such as Ohm's Law and circuit analysis, which are often related to transistor questions.