Vector Addition and Angle Calculation Using Trigonometry

In summary, Dale was asked how he would solve for an angle between two vectors if he did not know the degrees. He explained that he could use trigonometry to find the angle.
Dooga Blackrazor
Man, my online physics course sucks. Every time there is a lab or an assignment, it's on stuff I haven't done, lol.

Anyway I have an angle of 155 degrees separating one 18 N vector going 85 degrees northwest, and another vector going about 60 degrees southwest. The other angle is 12 N.

I have to add them, somehow, and give the magnitude of the new vector and its angle.

Then I take my new answer and use it to find the angle between it and another angle, which I already know. I should be able to do that easily enough with the protractor.

I have only been taught to add vectors which create right trangles, any way to solve it with right triangles would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use trigonometry to find the horizontal and the vertical components of both vectors, and then you can add the two horizontal components together and add the two vertical components together. If you do this, you will get the vertical and horizontal components of the new vector.

If you can solve it with right triangles you can solve it with anything, just go backwards from what you are familiar with. Just look at e.g. the 18N 85º vector as the hypotenuse of a right triangle with the opposite side parallel to the y-axis and the adjacent side on the x axis. Do the same with the other vector. You should be able to go on from there the way you are already familiar with.

-Dale

Ok, thanks, but how will I find my angle. I can add and solve for a new triangle and get the N, but I don't know what to do for the degrees.

you can solve for the angle using trigonometry. if you know the sides of the right triangle then you can find the angle.

Related to Vector Addition and Angle Calculation Using Trigonometry

1. What is vector addition?

Vector addition is a mathematical operation that involves combining two or more vectors to create a new vector. It is represented by placing the vectors tip to tail and drawing a line from the tail of the first vector to the tip of the last vector. The resulting vector is called the resultant vector.

2. What are the properties of vector addition?

The properties of vector addition include commutativity, associativity, and distributivity. This means that the order in which the vectors are added does not affect the result, the grouping of vectors does not affect the result, and multiplying a vector by a constant and then adding it to another vector is equivalent to adding the two vectors separately.

3. How do you add vectors graphically?

To add vectors graphically, you need to first represent each vector with an arrow on a graph, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the vector and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the vector. Then, place the vectors tip to tail and draw a line from the tail of the first vector to the tip of the last vector. The resulting line represents the resultant vector.

4. What is the difference between vector addition and scalar addition?

Vector addition involves combining two or more vectors to create a new vector, while scalar addition involves adding two or more scalar quantities to create a new scalar quantity. Scalar quantities have only magnitude, while vectors have both magnitude and direction.

5. How do you find the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector?

To find the magnitude of the resultant vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem by squaring the magnitudes of the individual vectors and adding them together, then taking the square root of the sum. To find the direction of the resultant vector, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine, or use the inverse tangent function to find the angle between the resultant vector and a reference axis.