Vector Calculas: Simplifying expressions

In summary, the expression (a - b) \cdot (b - c) \times (c - a) does not make sense as the dot product of two vectors cannot be crossed with a vector. It is possible that the intended expression was (a - b) \cdot ((b - c) \times (c - a)), in which case it can be simplified using the properties of the scalar triple product. The book states that the answer to this expression is 0, but the process for simplifying it is unclear. Further research on the scalar triple product may be helpful in solving this problem.
gotpho

Homework Statement

(a -b) [tex]\cdot[/tex] (b - c) [tex]\times[/tex] (c - a)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I have no idea where to being. I believe this expression is a scalar triple product but I do not know how to use the properties to simplify this expression.

Sorry, kind of screw up the latex symbols. Not sure how to use it probably.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mark44 said:
As you've written it, the expression doesn't make any sense. If you calculate (a - b) [itex]\cdot[/itex] (b - c), you get a scalar, which you can't cross with a vector. Do you mean
(a - b) [itex]\cdot[/itex] ((b - c) X (c - a))?

If so, here's a Wikipedia article that might be of help to you - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalar_triple_product#Scalar_triple_product

Perhaps but the book wrote it as (a - b) [itex]\cdot[/itex] (b - c) X (c - a). The book says the answers is 0 but I'm clueless as to where to begin. I'm guessing we have to simplify the cross product first.

What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields and their properties. It involves the use of vectors and their operations, such as addition, subtraction, and dot and cross products, to analyze and manipulate functions that have multiple variables.

Why is simplifying expressions important in vector calculus?

Simplifying expressions in vector calculus is important because it allows for a clearer understanding of the underlying concepts and relationships between different variables. It also helps in solving complex problems and making calculations more efficient.

What are some common techniques used to simplify vector calculus expressions?

Some common techniques used to simplify vector calculus expressions include simplifying fractions, factoring, combining like terms, and using trigonometric identities. It is also important to understand the properties of vectors and their operations, which can help in simplifying expressions.

How can simplifying expressions help with vector calculus applications?

Simplifying expressions can make it easier to analyze and solve real-world problems that involve vector calculus, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It can also help in visualizing and interpreting the results of vector calculus calculations.

What are some tips for simplifying vector calculus expressions effectively?

Some tips for simplifying vector calculus expressions include practicing regularly, understanding the properties and rules of vector operations, and breaking down complex expressions into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also helpful to double-check calculations and simplify expressions as much as possible before moving on to the next step.