Vector Calculus: Air flowing through loop of straight lines

In summary: I have now divided the loop into two triangles and I am trying to find the unit normal. The triangle (1,1,0) (1,0,0) (0,0,0) has the unit normal pointing towards the origin (0,0,0). The triangle (0,0,0) (0,1,1) (1,1,0) has the unit normal pointing towards (1,1,0). The unit normal is pointing in the same direction as the air flow.In summary, the unit normal is pointing in the direction of the air flow.
alexvenk

Homework Statement

Air is flowing with a speed v in the direction (-1, -1, 1,) calculate the volume of air flowing through the loop consisting of straight lines joining (in order i presume) (1,1,0) (1,0,0) (0,0,0) (0,1,1) (1,1,0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume you have to do a surface integral to calculate the area of the loop, calculate the component of air that is flowing in that direction and do a simple velocity * area for volume per second? Not sure how to get started with the first two parts though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
alexvenk said:

Homework Statement

Air is flowing with a speed v in the direction (-1, -1, 1,) calculate the volume of air flowing through the loop consisting of straight lines joining (in order i presume) (1,1,0) (1,0,0) (0,0,0) (0,1,1) (1,1,0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume you have to do a surface integral to calculate the area of the loop, calculate the component of air that is flowing in that direction and do a simple velocity * area for volume per second? Not sure how to get started with the first two parts though.

Draw a rough sketch of the loop.

There well be infinitely many surfaces having that loop as perimeter (why?). Can you tell if it matters which surface you pick?

Fab, thanks for the response.

There are infinite surfaces with that loop as the perimeter as its an open surface, and all we are given is the boundary. And no it shouldn't matter which surface we pick as we are only interested in the volume of air passing through the boundary. What now? I am still unsure of what integral I am supposed to be doing, the loop.

http://imgur.com/hHiq1o9 is my very rough sketch

EDIT: changed my mind, I am not sure if we can pick any surface

It isn't usually proven in most calculus courses, but if ##\nabla \cdot \vec V = 0## in a simply connected region, then there is a vector field ##\vec F## such that ##\vec V = \nabla \times \vec F##. That says ##\iint_{S} \vec V\cdot d\vec S =\iint_{S} \nabla \times F\cdot d\vec S = \int_C \vec F\cdot d\vec R## for any open surface ##S## bounded by the curve ##C##. Since the right side doesn't depend on ##S## but only on ##\vec F## and ##C##, you can use any surface bounded by the curve to calculate the left side. There are a couple of obvious surfaces you could use.

Last edited:
Your figure doesn't look right to me. Consider subdividing the loop into two abutting triangles: (1,1,0) (1,0,0) (0,0,0) and (0,0,0) (0,1,1) (1,1,0). It's easy to find the unit normal to each of these triangles, or, better yet, the unit normal times the area, by using cross products.

Chet

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the calculus of vector fields and their integrals. It is used to study the properties and behavior of vector fields, which are mathematical objects that represent quantities that have both magnitude and direction.

2. How is vector calculus used in the study of air flowing through a loop of straight lines?

Vector calculus is used to analyze and model the behavior of air as it flows through a loop of straight lines. This involves using vector field equations to describe the velocity and acceleration of the air particles, as well as integrating these equations to calculate the total flow rate and pressure distribution within the loop.

3. What are some real-world applications of vector calculus in relation to air flow?

Vector calculus has many practical applications related to air flow, such as in aerodynamics, weather forecasting, and HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning) systems. It is also used in the design of airfoils, wind turbines, and other structures that interact with air flow.

4. What are the key concepts in vector calculus that are important for understanding air flow through a loop of straight lines?

Some key concepts in vector calculus that are relevant to the study of air flow include vector fields, line integrals, gradient, divergence, and curl. These concepts are used to describe and analyze the direction and magnitude of air flow, as well as the changes in these properties within a given space.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in using vector calculus to study air flow through a loop of straight lines?

One limitation of using vector calculus in the study of air flow is that it assumes the air behaves as a continuous fluid, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, accurately modeling and solving complex vector field equations can be challenging and may require advanced mathematical techniques and computational tools.