Vector calculus - show that the integral takes the form of (0, a, 0)

In summary, during the conversation the topic of using cartesian coordinates for integration was discussed. It was mentioned that using a cartesian basis for vectors is better practice than using a spherical polar basis. The domain of integration was also mentioned to be best expressed in spherical polars. The components of dS were calculated to be normalized by the magnitude of the differential surface area and a direction normal to the surface.
celine
Homework Statement
suppose that V is the hemisphere with |x| <= R, z>=0, F = (z, x^2+y^2, 0) in Cartesian coordinates. Verify the equality shown below by calculating both integrals and showing that they take the form (0, a, 0) in Cartesian coordinates, for some constant a to be determined.
Relevant Equations
It was previously proven that the first equation below should hold.
IMG_1188.jpg

Since the question asks for Cartesian coordinates, I wrote dV as 2pi(x^2+y^2+z^2)dxdydz and did the integral over the left hand side of the equation with x, y, z from 0 to R. My integral returned (0, 2*pi*R^5, 5/3*pi*R^6) which doesn't seem right.

I also tried to compute the right-hand side of the equation, letting dS = dxdy, however I'm not sure how to work with the curl between F and dS. Should I use some vector identity and rewrite this?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
"In cartesian coordinates" means to use a cartesian basis for the vectors, rather than a spherical polar basis. This is good practise, since in spherical polars the basis vectors are not constants and so you cannot integrate componentwise as you can in cartesians. The domain of integration, on the other hand, is best expressed in spherical polars.

Thus you want [tex]\int_S \mathbf{F} \times d\mathbf{S} =
\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{\pi/2} \begin{pmatrix} z \\ x^2 + y^2 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} \times
\begin{pmatrix} x/R \\ y/R \\ z/R \end{pmatrix} R^2 \sin \theta\,d\theta\,d\phi[/tex] etc.

pasmith said:
"In cartesian coordinates" means to use a cartesian basis for the vectors, rather than a spherical polar basis. This is good practise, since in spherical polars the basis vectors are not constants and so you cannot integrate componentwise as you can in cartesians. The domain of integration, on the other hand, is best expressed in spherical polars.

Thus you want [tex]\int_S \mathbf{F} \times d\mathbf{S} =
\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{\pi/2} \begin{pmatrix} z \\ x^2 + y^2 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} \times
\begin{pmatrix} x/R \\ y/R \\ z/R \end{pmatrix} R^2 \sin \theta\,d\theta\,d\phi[/tex] etc.
Thank you for the response, however I am wondering how you got the components of dS to be (x/R, y/R, z/R)? Thanks!

Keep in mind what dS represents. It should have a magnitude equal to the differential surface area and a direction pointing normal to the surface. That direction vector ought to be normalized.

nucl34rgg said:
Keep in mind what dS represents. It should have a magnitude equal to the differential surface area and a direction pointing normal to the surface. That direction vector ought to be normalized.
Aah I see! I didn't consider the normalization! Thank you

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the application of calculus concepts to multivariate functions, specifically those involving vectors and vector-valued functions.

2. How does the integral take the form of (0, a, 0)?

The integral takes the form of (0, a, 0) when integrating over a region in three-dimensional space where the boundaries are parallel to the y-axis. This means that the limits of integration for the x and z variables are constant, while the limits for the y variable vary from 0 to a.

3. What is the significance of the form (0, a, 0) in vector calculus?

The form (0, a, 0) is significant because it allows for the integration of vector fields over a specific region in three-dimensional space, making it a useful tool in many applications, such as in fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.

4. How is vector calculus used in real-world applications?

Vector calculus is used in many real-world applications, including engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze physical phenomena, such as fluid flow, electric and magnetic fields, and motion of objects in three-dimensional space.

5. What are some common techniques used in vector calculus to solve problems?

Some common techniques used in vector calculus include finding the gradient, divergence, and curl of a vector field, as well as using line, surface, and volume integrals to calculate quantities such as work, flux, and circulation.