Vector description of motion around a bend

In summary, the conversation is discussing a car's average acceleration vector when it rounds a 90 degree bend and ends up heading southward while maintaining a constant speed. The equation for average acceleration is mentioned and calculations are shown, with a discussion about the direction of motion and a possible typo in the answer key. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use information about the acceleration magnitude to solve for the velocity.
ianperez

Homework Statement

A car, initially going eastward, rounds a 90 degree bend and ends up heading southward. If the speedometer reading remains constant, what is the direction of a car's average acceleration vector?

-So i know the speed remains constant.

Homework Equations

average acceleration =( final velocity - initial velocity ) / elapsed time

The Attempt at a Solution

initial velocity = vi + 0j
final velocity = 0i + -vj
average acceleration = (-vi + -vj) / elapsed time

I don't think that the time matters here, because the ratio of vj/vi will remain the same, so:

direction of motion = inverse tangent of (-vj/-vi) = 45 degrees.

I feel like the answer should be -45 degrees. Also the back of the book says average acceleration = 5.12 m/s2 and that the angle should be 41 degrees south of west. How can they get an actual value for average acceleration? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the instantaneous acceleration as a V^2/R calculation, with appropriate direction. Then integrate over the whole process and divide by the length of the interval to get a vector average.

ianperez said:

Homework Statement

A car, initially going eastward, rounds a 90 degree bend and ends up heading southward. If the speedometer reading remains constant, what is the direction of a car's average acceleration vector?

-So i know the speed remains constant.

Homework Equations

average acceleration =( final velocity - initial velocity ) / elapsed time

The Attempt at a Solution

initial velocity = vi + 0j
final velocity = 0i + -vj
average acceleration = (-vi + -vj) / elapsed time

I don't think that the time matters here, because the ratio of vj/vi will remain the same, so:

direction of motion = inverse tangent of (-vj/-vi) = 45 degrees.

I feel like the answer should be -45 degrees. Also the back of the book says average acceleration = 5.12 m/s2 and that the angle should be 41 degrees south of west. How can they get an actual value for average acceleration? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You had the equation for the average acceleration correct. Now, what do you get when you add -vi and -vj? Draw a diagram and see.

That 41 has to be a typo. It has to be 45.

Chet

OldEngr63 said:
Find the instantaneous acceleration as a V^2/R calculation, with appropriate direction. Then integrate over the whole process and divide by the length of the interval to get a vector average.

That sounds like a lot of fun, but I'm certain that's beyond my present day abilities. Thanks though

Chestermiller said:
You had the equation for the average acceleration correct. Now, what do you get when you add -vi and -vj? Draw a diagram and see.

That 41 has to be a typo. It has to be 45.

Chet

Thanks for your help. When I draw it out I see an angle that is 45 degrees south of west, which makes sense to me. I'm really glad to hear you say the 41 degrees is a typo, but what about the magnitude of average acceleration of 5.12m/s sq. That has to be a typo too right? Since the question only asked for the direction?

The question only asks for the direction.

If you draw a diagram, you see that the vector addition of vf and -vi gives a vector of length v √(½) "direction" SW.
To convert that into an average acceleration, you need to assume something, e.g. a constant acceleration during the turn. That gives a quarter circle trajectory of length ½π r/v, so the average acceleration is v √(½) / (½π r/v) = v2√(2)/(πr). I don't see a way to extract a number from that without further information.

It looks like the problem statement left out some info. Why don't you take their number for accel magnitude, and back out what the velocity they meant to include should have been?

Chet

Maybe you are looking at the answer for a different problem. This one does not ask about magnitude of acceleration. Unless is not the complete text.

1. What is a vector description of motion around a bend?

A vector description of motion around a bend is a mathematical representation of an object's movement as it travels along a curved path. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the object's velocity at each point along the path.

2. How is a vector description of motion around a bend different from a scalar description?

A scalar description only considers the magnitude of an object's velocity, while a vector description also takes into account the direction of the velocity. This is important when an object is moving along a curved path, as its velocity may be constantly changing direction.

3. What are some common examples of motion around a bend?

Some common examples of motion around a bend include a car driving around a circular track, a ball rolling down a curved ramp, and a satellite orbiting around a planet.

4. How is a vector description of motion around a bend used in real-world applications?

A vector description of motion around a bend is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and robotics to accurately predict and analyze the movement of objects along curved paths. It is also used in computer simulations to model and animate movements in video games and movies.

5. What are the key components of a vector description of motion around a bend?

The key components of a vector description of motion around a bend include the object's position, velocity, and acceleration at each point along the path. It also takes into account the curvature and radius of the bend, as well as any external forces acting on the object.