Vector Equations to sys of diff eq

In summary, the problem has four parts, each involving rewriting vector equations as systems of differential equations or solving differential equations. For 1A, the equations can be broken down into three parts, each involving the gradient in spherical coordinates and equating components together. For 1B, linear algebra techniques can be used to rewrite the system. For 1C, the explicit hint of integrating and using constants of integration can be applied. For 1D, a shortcut or guessing a solution of the form Ae^ix or A sinx + B cosx can be used to solve the second order differential equation.
nkk2008

Homework Statement

The problem has four very similar parts:

A)Rewrite the following vector equations as systems of differential equations:
[itex]\frac{q}{A}=-k \nabla T[/itex] (q is a vector) (spherical coordinates; k and A are constants)

B)Rewrite the following vector equations as systems of differential equations:
[itex]\nabla ^{2} T + \frac{a}{k}=0[/itex] (Cartesian coordiatnes; a and k are constants)

C)Solve the following diff eqs:

C1) [itex]q + \frac{k}{r} \frac{d}{dr}(r \frac{dT}{dr}) =0[/itex]

q and k are constant
Hint: integrate and use the constants of integration A and B

C2) [itex]\frac{d^{2}\varphi}{dx^{}2} + s \varphi =0[/itex]

Boundary conditions: [itex]\frac{d\phi}{dx}+0 @ x=0 ; \phi=c @ x= \pm L[/itex]
c,L are constant s is a positive constant.
Hint: use sin and cos functions

Homework Equations

None that I know of

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not have one. I am thouroughly confused. I am asking a TA tomorrow, but if someone could just nudge me in the right direction before that I would be appreciative. I know this is not terribly hard, but for some reason it is stopping me.

Thanks,
Nkk

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here are a few hints on some of them:

A) Think about how you can equate components together (use/derive the gradient in spherical coordinates).

B) Using linear algebra techniques, can you rewrite this system? Have you seen this done before (fairly elementary).

C) It's difficult to help you with this one if you haven't mentioned what you have tried yet. They give you an explicit hint; have you applied it?

D) This is an elementary second order differential equation of homogeneous form. If you don't know a shortcut as to how to solve this, perhaps you can guess a solution of the form [itex]Ae^{ix}[/itex] and solve for A. Or, choose to use only a real guess, like [itex]A\sin x+B\cos x[/itex] and solve for A and B by substitution.

If you have any questions, let us know.

So for 1A I would just break it into three eqs like:

[itex]\frac{q_{r}}{A}=-k \frac{d}{dr}T_{r}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{q_{\phi}}{A}=-k \frac{1}{r} \frac{d}{d \phi}T_{\phi}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{q_{\theta}}{A}=-k \frac{1}{r sin(\phi)} \frac{d}{d \theta}T_{\theta}[/itex]

Is that right? That was easy...

Maybe I am both overthinking them AND just plain confused.

Thanks (and I will probably be back to ask about the other ones),
Nkk

Related to Vector Equations to sys of diff eq

1. What is a vector equation?

A vector equation is an equation that represents the relationship between vectors in a vector space. It typically involves multiple variables and is written in the form of x = a1v1 + a2v2 + ... + anvn, where x is the vector being solved for, a are scalar coefficients, and v are vectors.

2. What is a system of differential equations?

A system of differential equations is a set of equations that describe the relationship between multiple variables and their rates of change over time. It is written in the form of x' = f(x, t), where x' represents the rate of change of x with respect to time t and f is a function that relates x and t.

3. How are vector equations used to solve systems of differential equations?

Vector equations can be used to represent systems of differential equations in a more concise and organized manner. By writing the equations in vector form, it becomes easier to manipulate and solve the equations using matrix operations or other mathematical techniques.

4. What are the benefits of using vector equations to solve systems of differential equations?

Using vector equations to solve systems of differential equations allows for a more systematic and efficient approach to solving complex equations. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships between the variables, making it easier to understand the behavior of the system.

5. Can vector equations be used to solve any type of system of differential equations?

Yes, vector equations can be used to solve linear and nonlinear systems of differential equations. However, the complexity of the equations may vary and may require different methods or techniques to solve them.