Vector multiplication in static equilibrium

In summary, the blue square time the red square means the tension in the cable and the orange square means the distance between the attachment point of the cable and the boom. The blue and orange squares are multiplied together to get the net torque.
Zynoakib

Homework Statement

A 1 200-N uniform boom at 65 degrees to the vertical is
supported by a cable at an angle of 25 degrees to the horizontal
. The boom is pivoted at the bottom, and an object of weight = 2 000 N
hangs from its top. Find the tension in the support
cable

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the answer but I just don't understand how it works

image.jpg

What does blue square time red square mean? The red square means horizontal tension and the blue square means the vertical distance between the cable attaching point and the ground (as shown in the diagram below), why do you multiply them with each other?
20150912_235957.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Zynoakib said:

Homework Statement

A 1 200-N uniform boom at 65 degrees to the vertical is
supported by a cable at an angle of 25 degrees to the horizontal
. The boom is pivoted at the bottom, and an object of weight = 2 000 N
hangs from its top. Find the tension in the support
cable

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the answer but I just don't understand how it works

image.jpg

What does blue square time red square mean? The red square means horizontal tension and the blue square means the vertical distance between the cable attaching point and the ground (as shown in the diagram below), why do you multiply them with each other?
20150912_235957.jpg

Do you understand how to calculate the moment of a force about the pivot point of the boom?

SteamKing said:
Do you understand how to calculate the moment of a force about the pivot point of the boom?

Net torque = 0
Tension from the cable = the hanging weight
like this? I don't know.

I don't understand how you can calculate the torque just by using horizontal tension and the vertical distance instead of a force that is perpendicular to the surface.

Zynoakib said:
Net torque = 0
Tension from the cable = the hanging weight
like this? I don't know.

I don't understand how you can calculate the torque just by using horizontal tension and the vertical distance instead of a force that is perpendicular to the surface.
What surface? You're trying to calculate the torque created on the beam by the tension in the cable, which has two parts:

1. The moment arm is the vertical distance (3 * L / 4) * sin(65°) between the attachment point of the cable and the pivot, and the force is the horizontal component of the tension in the cable, T*cos(25°).

2. The moment arm is the horizontal separation of the attachment point of the cable to the boom and the pivot point, (3 * L / 4) * cos(65°), and the force is the vertical component of the cable tension, T * sin (25°).

The calculation of the total torque about the boom pivot is split in this manner due to the definition of the moment of a force about an axis of rotation.

In the diagram below, the moment of the force F about O is M = F × d:

IMG00002.GIF

Likes Zynoakib
SteamKing said:
What surface? You're trying to calculate the torque created on the beam by the tension in the cable, which has two parts:

1. The moment arm is the vertical distance (3 * L / 4) * sin(65°) between the attachment point of the cable and the pivot, and the force is the horizontal component of the tension in the cable, T*cos(25°).

2. The moment arm is the horizontal separation of the attachment point of the cable to the boom and the pivot point, (3 * L / 4) * cos(65°), and the force is the vertical component of the cable tension, T * sin (25°).

The calculation of the total torque about the boom pivot is split in this manner due to the definition of the moment of a force about an axis of rotation.

In the diagram below, the moment of the force F about O is M = F × d:

IMG00002.GIF

ok I have finally get it. Thanks!

What is vector multiplication in static equilibrium?

Vector multiplication in static equilibrium is a mathematical operation used to determine the equilibrium of a system of forces acting on an object. It involves calculating the vector product of two or more vectors to determine the direction and magnitude of the net force acting on the object.

What is the difference between scalar and vector multiplication?

The main difference between scalar and vector multiplication is that scalar multiplication only involves multiplying a scalar (a numerical value) by a vector, resulting in a scalar quantity. On the other hand, vector multiplication involves multiplying two or more vectors, resulting in a vector quantity.

How is vector multiplication used in physics?

Vector multiplication is used in physics to analyze and solve problems involving forces and motion, such as determining the net force acting on an object or calculating the torque on a rotating object. It is also used to determine the direction and magnitude of electric and magnetic fields.

What are the different types of vector multiplication?

There are two main types of vector multiplication: dot product (also known as scalar product) and cross product (also known as vector product). The dot product results in a scalar quantity, while the cross product results in a vector quantity.

What are the properties of vector multiplication?

The properties of vector multiplication include the commutative property (a x b = b x a), the distributive property (a x (b + c) = a x b + a x c), and the associative property (a x (b x c) = (a x b) x c). It is also important to note that the dot product of two perpendicular vectors is 0, and the cross product of two parallel vectors is 0.