Vector Potential Multipole Expansion

In summary, the conversation discusses the multipole expansion of the vector potential, which includes monopole, dipole, quadrupole, and other terms. The monopole term for a current loop is μI/4πr*∫dl’ and goes to 0 as the integral is over a closed loop. The confusion arises when evaluating the integral, as it should go to 0 but instead gives the arc length. The conversation then delves into the mathematical derivation of the multipole expansion and shows that the monopole term indeed goes to 0 due to the conservation of charge.
physwiz222
TL;DR Summary
Why is the monopole term 0 in the multipole expansion for Magnetic Vector Potential A.
when you do a multipole expansion of the vector potential you get a monopole, dipole, quadrupole and so on terms. The monopole term for a current loop is μI/4πr*∫dl’ which goes to 0 as the integral is over a closed loop. I am kinda confused on that as evaulating the integral gives the arc length but it should go to 0. For example for a circular loop ∫dl’ just gives 2πr’ which is the circumference, not 0. dl’ in Spherical coordinates is <dr, rdθ, rsinθdφ> So if we take θ=π/2 and integrate dφ As the current is in the φ direction we end up with 2πr’. Could someone show how the integral goes to 0 like actually show rigorously by evaluating it and proving that it goes to 0 and explain any mistake I made in the integration.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, what you are really considering. I guess it's magnetostatics. Then the multipole expansion for the magnetic field, given a current density ##\vec{j}(\vec{x})## which is ##0## outside and at the boundary of a sphere of radius ##a## can be derived as follows:

It all starts, of course, with Maxwell's equations in differential form, and I'm assuming the fundamental vacuum form, i.e., ##\vec{j}## is the total current density. Then you have (in SI units)
$$\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}=\mu_0 \vec{j}, \quad \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{B}=0.$$
From the 2nd equation you know that there's a vector potential ##\vec{A}## such that
$$\vec{B}=\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A}.$$
Plugging this into the 1st Maxwell equation (Ampere's Law) you get
$$\vec{\nabla} \times (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A})=\mu \vec{j}.$$
That can be rewritten as
$$\vec{\nabla} (\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{A})-\Delta \vec{A}=\mu_0 \vec{j}. \qquad (*)$$
Now the vector potential is determined from the physics only up to a "gauge transformation", i.e., you can add any gradient field to ##\vec{A}## without changing the physics at all. This means you can impose some convenient constraint on ##\vec{A}##. In magnetostatics the most convenient "choice of gauge" is the Coulomb gauge, which demands
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{A}=0.$$
Then (*) simplifies to
$$-\Delta \vec{A}=\mu_0 \vec{j}.$$
For the Maxwell equations of magnetostatics to be solvable at all you must have
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{j}=\frac{1}{\mu_0} \vec{\nabla} \cdot (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B})=0,$$
which just describes the conservation of charge for a static configuration.

The solution for the potential is now given by the Green's function of ##-\Delta##, which is well-known from electrostatics:
$$\vec{A}(\vec{x})=\mu_0 \int_{B_a} \mathrm{d}^3 x' \frac{\vec{j}(\vec{x}')}{4 \pi |\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}.$$
We also know from electrostatics that the Green's function can be expanded in terms of spherical harmonics. Using the notation ##r_<=\text{min}(r,r')## and ##r_>=\text{max}(r,r')## it reads
$$G(\vec{x},\vec{x}')=\frac{1}{4 \pi |\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|} = \sum_{\ell=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2 \ell +1} \frac{r_{<}^{\ell}}{r_{>}^{\ell+1}} \sum_{m=-\ell}^{\ell} \text{Y}_{\ell m}(\vartheta,\varphi) \text{Y}_{\ell m}^*(\vartheta',\varphi').$$
Now for ##r=|\vec{x}|>a## (i.e., for a point outside of the current distribution) you thus get
$$\vec{A}(\vec{x}) = \sum_{\ell=0}^{\infty} \frac{\mu_0}{(2 \ell +1) r^{\ell+1}} \sum_{m=-\ell}^{\ell} \text{Y}_{\ell m}(\vartheta,\varphi) \int_{B_a} \mathrm{d^3 x'} \mathrm{d} \varphi r^{\prime \ell} \text{Y}_{\ell m}^*(\vartheta',\varphi') \vec{j}(\vec{x}').$$
Defining the "vector multipole moments" (I'm not sure, where to find this in the literature in this way, so maybe my convention concerning coefficients is differen from the literature) such that
$$\vec{A}(\vec{x}) = \frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \sum_{\ell=0}^{\infty} \sum_{m=-\ell}^{\ell} \frac{\vec{M}_{\ell m}}{r^{\ell+1}},$$
you have
$$\vec{M}_{\ell m} = \frac{4 \pi}{2 \ell+1} \int_{B_a} \mathrm{d}^3 x' r^{\prime \ell} \text{Y}_{\ell m}^*(\vartheta',\varphi') \vec{j}(\vec{x}').$$
Now let's look at the "monopole term", i.e., ##\ell=m=0##. Since ##Y_{00}=1/\sqrt{4 \pi}## you simply need the integral
$$\vec{M}_{00} = \sqrt{4 \pi} \int_{B_a} \mathrm{d}^3 x' r^{\prime \ell} \vec{j}(\vec{x}').$$
To show that this vanishes, given that ##\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{j}=0##. Just consider
$$\partial_k (x_j j_k)=\delta_{jk} j_k + x_j \partial_k j_k=j_j$$
and use Gauss's integral theorem
$$\int_{B_a} \mathrm{d}^3 x \partial_k (x_j j_k) = \int_{B_a} \mathrm{d}^3 x j_j = \int_{\partial B_a} \mathrm{d}^2 f_k (x_j j_k)=0,$$
because by assumption ##\vec{j}(\vec{x})=0## for ##r=|\vec{x}| \geq a##. Thus you indeed have ##M_{00}=0##, and the expansion starts with the dipole contribution.

• Informative
Likes Omega0, Dale and hutchphd
physwiz222 said:
Could someone show how the integral goes to 0 like actually show rigorously by evaluating it and proving that it goes to 0 and explain any mistake I made in the integration.
Sure. The monopole term of the magnetic vector is a vector which I would write as ##\vec M_{00}.## With ##K=\frac{\mu_0 I}{4\pi r}## we have ##\vec M_{00}=K\int d\vec s ##. Let's assume that the loop is in the xy-plane and has radius ##R##. Then in standard polar coordinate notation, ##d\vec s=R(-\sin\phi)~d\phi~\hat x+R\cos\phi~d\phi ~\hat y +0~\hat z.## The components of the monopole are $$
\begin{align} & M_{00,x} =K\int_0^{2\pi} R(-\sin\phi)~d\phi =0 \nonumber \\
& M_{00,y} =K\int_0^{2\pi} R\cos\phi~d\phi =0 \nonumber \\
& M_{00,z} =K\int_0^{2\pi} 0 =0. \nonumber \\ \end{align}$$ A vector the components of which are all equal to zero is the zero vector. The mistake you made is that you didn't calculate the components separately. You did not interpret ##\int d\vec s## as three integrals in one. When you add vectors, in this case the contributions to the components of ##d\vec s##, you add the contributions to the component in a given direction separately from the contributions in the other directions.

Likes vanhees71
So basically you have to convert that φ unit vector into x and y components. Makes sense. Btw how do u do vector displacement integrals. I have looked online but can’t find anything I just find Line Integral of Vector and Scalar fields but never vector displacement.

kuruman said:
Sure. The monopole term of the magnetic vector is a vector which I would write as ##\vec M_{00}.## With ##K=\frac{\mu_0 I}{4\pi r}## we have ##\vec M_{00}=K\int d\vec s ##. Let's assume that the loop is in the xy-plane and has radius ##R##. Then in standard polar coordinate notation, ##d\vec s=R(-\sin\phi)~d\phi~\hat x+R\cos\phi~d\phi ~\hat y +0~\hat z.## The components of the monopole are $$
\begin{align} & M_{00,x} =K\int_0^{2\pi} R(-\sin\phi)~d\phi =0 \nonumber \\
& M_{00,y} =K\int_0^{2\pi} R\cos\phi~d\phi =0 \nonumber \\
& M_{00,z} =K\int_0^{2\pi} 0 =0. \nonumber \\ \end{align}$$ A vector the components of which are all equal to zero is the zero vector. The mistake you made is that you didn't calculate the components separately. You did not interpret ##\int d\vec s## as three integrals in one. When you add vectors, in this case the contributions to the components of ##d\vec s##, you add the contributions to the component in a given direction separately from the contributions in the other directions.
So basically you have to convert that φ unit vector into x and y components. Makes sense. Btw how do u do vector displacement integrals. I have looked online but can’t find anything I just find Line Integral of Vector and Scalar fields but never vector displacement.

physwiz222 said:
Btw how do u do vector displacement integrals.
I just showed you. An integral is a sum. How do u add vectors that point in different directions? U add all the x-components together, all the y-components together and all the z-components together. Is there another way?

kuruman said:
I just showed you. An integral is a sum. How do u add vectors that point in different directions? U add all the x-components together, all the y-components together and all the z-components together. Is there another way?

Makes sense

physwiz222 said:

Perhaps consider [itex]d\vec s = \hat t\,ds[/itex] where [itex]\hat t[/itex] is the unit tangent vector in the direction of travel along the curve.

pasmith said:
Perhaps consider [itex]d\vec s = \hat t\,ds[/itex] where [itex]\hat t[/itex] is the unit tangent vector in the direction of travel along the curve.
And then what? It's a dead end because you cannot take ##\hat t## out of the integral. You can argue that the resultant of a bunch of vectors put tip-to-tail to form a closed loop adds to zero, however OP wants a rigorous proof, i.e. actually performing an integral which means a sum, which means adding components separately.

1. What is a vector potential multipole expansion?

A vector potential multipole expansion is a mathematical technique used to describe the magnetic field produced by a distribution of electric current. It involves breaking down the current distribution into smaller components and calculating the magnetic field produced by each component separately. The sum of these individual magnetic fields gives the total magnetic field produced by the current distribution.

2. How is the vector potential multipole expansion different from the scalar potential multipole expansion?

The vector potential multipole expansion is used to describe the magnetic field, while the scalar potential multipole expansion is used to describe the electric field. The vector potential takes into account the direction of the magnetic field, while the scalar potential does not. Additionally, the vector potential is a vector quantity, while the scalar potential is a scalar quantity.

3. What are the applications of vector potential multipole expansion?

The vector potential multipole expansion is commonly used in electromagnetism and in the study of magnetic materials. It is also used in the design and analysis of electromagnetic devices such as motors, generators, and transformers. Additionally, it is used in the development of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technology.

4. What are the limitations of the vector potential multipole expansion?

The vector potential multipole expansion assumes that the current distribution is continuous and does not take into account any discontinuities or boundaries. It is also limited to linear materials and cannot be used for non-linear materials. Additionally, it is an approximation and may not accurately describe the magnetic field in all situations.

5. What are some other methods for calculating magnetic fields?

Other methods for calculating magnetic fields include the Biot-Savart law, Ampere's law, and the finite element method. The Biot-Savart law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire. Ampere's law relates the magnetic field to the current enclosed by a closed loop. The finite element method is a numerical technique used to solve complex electromagnetic problems by dividing the problem into smaller elements and solving for the magnetic field at each element.