Vector problem: Find region shaded by fence

• Thread starter plexus0208
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the problem involves finding the shaded region on the ground created by a vertical fence standing on the xy-plane, with the top of the fence at the point (0,0,1) and the direction of the fence given by <3,1,0>. The sun's rays, given by the vector <2,-1,-3>, are shining on the fence. To find the shaded region, we need to find the line representing the edge of the shadow, which can be found by adding the vector representing the sun's direction to the vector representing the top of the fence. The resulting vector has the same length as the distance from the bottom of the fence to the ground, which is given by sqrt(5)/3.
plexus0208

Homework Statement

A vertical fence stands on the ground, and the sun is shining on it.
The ground is the xy-plane, and the top of the fence is the line through the point (0,0,1) in the
direction of < 3, 1, 0 >. The sun’s rays are pointing in the direction of the vector < 2,−1,−3 >.
Find the region on the ground that is shaded by the fence.

Homework Equations

A dot B = |A||B|cosθ
A x B = |A||B|sinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to visualize the problem.
Also, what is meant by "find the region"? Are they asking for the area of the shaded ground?
Can someone shed some light on this problem, or help me set it up?

Physics news on Phys.org
so the ground in the xy plane, and the fence is one unit high

think of the right triangle formed by the fence (vertical), the ground (horizontal) with the hypotenuse direction, given by the direction of the sunlight

for the region, you could think of it bounded by 2 lines, one the base of the fence, the other the edge of the shadow

But what exactly is it that I'm finding? I can't find the area since I don't know the length of the fence. So am I just finding the distance of the shadow from the edge of the fence?

My work: I started the vector <2, -1, -3> at the point (0, 0, 3).
I then used the pythagorean theorem: c = sqrt[2^2 + (-1)^2] = sqrt5
I then found an equation: y = (-3/sqrt5)x + 3
I moved the fence up so that the fence is a line through (0, 0, 3) and the bottom of the fence is the line through (0, 0, 2)
I set the equation equal to 2, and solved for x, and got sqrt5 / 3

Last edited:
where did you get (0,0,3)?

the top of the fence is given by the line through (0,0,1) along direction (3,1,0). The ground is the xy plane.

This means the base of the fence is is given by the line through (0,0,0) along direction (3,1,0).

Find the line representing the edge of the shadow. The shaded region will be bounded by the base of the fence on one side, and the edge of the shadow on the other, so by 2 parallel lines. Unless the length of teh fence is given, I would probably assume it is infinite

I moved all the vectors up so that it would be easier to work with, but all the directions of the vectors are the same.

why are they easier to deal with moved up?

If you know the line of the bottom of the fence, all you need is to find a vector to shift it, to find the shadow edge.

start with fence f = (0,0,1)

the sun direction is s = (2,-1,-3)/3 = (2/3,-1/3,-1), if we divide it by three it gives the same vertical relief as the fence (ie. when the shadow hits the ground).

the vector represting the shadow on the ground is the sum of these
b = f + s = (0,0,1) + (2/3,-1/3,-1) = (2/3,-1/3,0)

which has the same length as you found
|b| = (2/3,-1/3,0) = sqrt(5)/3

Related to Vector problem: Find region shaded by fence

1. What is a vector problem?

A vector problem is a mathematical problem that involves vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. These problems often require the use of vector operations, such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication.

2. What is the "region shaded by fence" in a vector problem?

The "region shaded by fence" refers to the area enclosed by a fence or boundary created by vectors in a problem. This region is often represented by a shaded or colored area to visually show the enclosed space.

3. How do you find the region shaded by fence in a vector problem?

To find the region shaded by fence, you need to first draw the vectors and their resulting shape. Then, you can use vector operations and algebra to find the coordinates of the vertices of the shape. Finally, you can use the vertices to plot the shape and shade the enclosed region.

4. What are some common strategies for solving vector problems?

Some common strategies for solving vector problems include breaking down the vectors into their components, using geometric properties and relationships, and using trigonometric functions. It is also helpful to draw diagrams and use visual aids to better understand the problem.

5. How can vector problems be applied in real life?

Vector problems have many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, vectors can be used to represent forces, velocities, and directions of travel in physics problems. In engineering, vectors can be used to represent the forces acting on structures or the direction of motion of vehicles. In navigation, vectors can be used to calculate distances and directions between two points on a map.