Vector problem missing magnitude of two vectors

In summary, using the equations for finding the resultant of forces, we can find the magnitude of forces B and C, which are pointing in different directions than force A. By setting up and solving a system of equations, we can determine the values for B and C, which will help us better understand the forces acting on the object.
Hackerjack

Homework Statement

Force A has a magnitude of 200 lb and points 35deg N of W. Force B points 40deg E of N. Force C points 30deg W of S. The resultant of the three forces has a magnitude of 260 lb and points 85deg S of W. Find the magnitude of forces B and C.

Homework Equations

A+B+C=R(resultant)
Ax+Bx+Cx=Rx
Ay+By+Cy=Ry

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is what I tried:
Ax+Bx+Cx=Rx
-200cos35 + Bsin40 - Csin30 = -260cos85
-163.8304 + Bsin40 - Csin30 = -22.6605
Bsin40 - Csin30 = 141.1699

Ay+By+Cy=Ry
200sin35 + Bcos40 - Ccos30 = -260sin85
114.7153 + Bcos40 - Ccos30 = -259.0108
Bcos40 - Ccos30 = -373.7261

This is what I tried but I still can't find the magnitude of B and C. Should I use system of equations to find B and C? Am I even on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hackerjack said:

Homework Statement

Force A has a magnitude of 200 lb and points 35deg N of W. Force B points 40deg E of N. Force C points 30deg W of S. The resultant of the three forces has a magnitude of 260 lb and points 85deg S of W. Find the magnitude of forces B and C.

Homework Equations

A+B+C=R(resultant)
Ax+Bx+Cx=Rx
Ay+By+Cy=Ry

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is what I tried:
Ax+Bx+Cx=Rx
-163.8304 + Bsin40 - Csin30 = -22.6605
Bsin40 - Csin30 = 141.1699

Ay+By+Cy=Ry
114.7153 + Bcos40 - Ccos30 = -259.0108
Bcos40 - Ccos30 = -373.7261

This is what I tried but I still can't find the magnitude of B and C. Should I use system of equations to find B and C? Am I even on the right track?
Yes, although I didn't verify that your equations are correct.
I copied these equations from your work above. There are two equations in two unknowns, so solving these equations simultaneously should give you values for B and C.

Related to Vector problem missing magnitude of two vectors

1. What is a vector problem missing magnitude of two vectors?

A vector problem missing magnitude of two vectors refers to a mathematical problem in which the magnitude (size or length) of two vectors is unknown and needs to be solved for. Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you solve a vector problem missing magnitude of two vectors?

To solve a vector problem missing magnitude of two vectors, you can use the Pythagorean theorem or the law of cosines. These formulas will help you find the magnitude of the resulting vector by using the magnitudes and angles of the two given vectors.

3. Can a vector problem missing magnitude of two vectors have more than one solution?

Yes, a vector problem missing magnitude of two vectors can have more than one solution. This is because there can be multiple combinations of magnitudes and angles for the two given vectors that will result in the same magnitude and direction for the resulting vector.

4. What are some real-life applications of vector problems missing magnitude of two vectors?

Vector problems missing magnitude of two vectors have many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, they can be used to calculate the resultant force of multiple forces acting on an object, or to determine the direction and magnitude of a boat's velocity when there is wind and current affecting its movement.

5. What are some tips for solving a vector problem missing magnitude of two vectors?

Some tips for solving a vector problem missing magnitude of two vectors include drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, breaking down the vectors into their components, and using the appropriate formula (Pythagorean theorem or law of cosines) to find the magnitude of the resulting vector. It is also important to pay attention to the given units and convert them if necessary.