Vector Proof: Solving for IuI and IvI using Dot Product Properties

In summary, the conversation is about using properties of the dot product to prove a statement involving vectors. The person asking for help is unsure of where to start, but with the use of the distributive law and clarification on the definition of the dot product in different spaces, they were able to figure it out.
stolencookie
Member advised that homework must be posted in one of the homework sections
I am having trouble with this proof. I just need a step in the right direction. Let u and v be vectors.
(u+v)*(u-v)=0, then IuI=IvI I have to use properties of the dot product.
I started off by combining both using this property u*(v+w)=u*v+u*w (u,v,w are vectors)
I got lost in all of my mess, after I combined them. Was this a good place to start? I am just so lost right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your definition of the dot product? In what space are you working? I assume ##\mathbb{R}^n##

Use the distributive law step by step: ##(u+v)\cdot (u-v)= u\cdot (u-v) + v\cdot (u-v)##.

Likes stolencookie
Yes I am
Math_QED said:
What is your definition of the dot product? In what space are you working? I assume ##\mathbb{R}^n##

fresh_42 said:
Use the distributive law step by step: ##(u+v)\cdot (u-v)= u\cdot (u-v) + v\cdot (u-v)##.

That helps a lot actually I think I know how to do it now.

Math_QED said:
Does it make a difference if i am working in Rn ?

Yes, it does for the definition of ##|u|## as ##\sqrt{u\cdot u}##. In ##\mathbb{C}^n## it would be ##\sqrt{u \cdot \overline{u}}## with complex conjugation in one factor.

fresh_42 said:
Yes, it does for the definition of ##|u|## as ##\sqrt{u\cdot u}##. In ##\mathbb{C}^n## it would be ##\sqrt{u \cdot \overline{u}}## with complex conjugation in one factor.
I am confused now..

If we have a vector ##u=\begin{bmatrix}1\\2\end{bmatrix}## then ##|u|^2=u\cdot u = 1^2 +2^2 = 5## with the length ##\sqrt{5}##.
If we consider ##u=\begin{bmatrix}i\\2\end{bmatrix}## then the same formula would result in ##|u|^2=u\cdot u = i^2 +2^2 = -1 + 4 = 3## which is wrong, as I didn't actually change the length at all. So in this case the calculation goes ##|u|^2=u \cdot \overline{u}= i\cdot (-i) +2^2 = 5##.

Likes stolencookie
Do you still need help?

##(u+v).(u-v) = 0 \iff (u+v).u - (u+v).v = 0 \iff u.u + v.u - u.v - v.v = 0 \iff \dots##

I got it just got distracted ...

Related to Vector Proof: Solving for IuI and IvI using Dot Product Properties

1. What is the definition of "proof" in the scientific context?

In science, proof refers to evidence or data that supports a claim or hypothesis.

2. How do you begin the process of creating a scientific proof?

To start a proof, you must first identify a question or problem that you want to investigate. Then, you must develop a hypothesis or proposed explanation for the question.

3. What types of evidence can be used in a scientific proof?

Many types of evidence can be used in a scientific proof, including experimental data, observations, mathematical equations, and statistical analysis. The type of evidence used will depend on the specific question being investigated.

4. Is it necessary to use complex language and equations in a scientific proof?

No, a scientific proof should be presented in a clear and concise manner that is easily understandable to others in the scientific community. Using unnecessarily complex language or equations can make it difficult for others to understand and replicate your work.

5. How do you ensure the validity and reliability of a scientific proof?

To ensure the validity and reliability of a scientific proof, it is important to use rigorous methods and controls in the research process. This includes using appropriate sample sizes, controlling for variables, and conducting multiple trials. Peer review and replication by other scientists also help to validate the findings of a scientific proof.