Vector relationship? |A+B| = |A-B|

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between two vectors A and B, specifically the equality of their magnitudes regardless of direction. The conversation also mentions using the inner product to calculate the norms of the vectors and how this can be used to relate A and B. However, the participants also mention not being familiar with the notation and questioning if there are other possible approaches to solve the problem.
Fjolvar
I've been spending far too much time on this problem and I know I'm over thinking it. Here it is:

If |A+B| = |A-B|

What is the most general relationship between the two vectors?

-Now I know this is just saying they have equal magnitude regardless of direction, but I'm not quite sure what it's asking for. What kind of general relationship am I supposed to write out? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to calculate this norms with the inner product:

[tex]|A|^2=<A,A>[/tex]

micromass said:
Try to calculate this norms with the inner product:

[tex]|A|^2=<A,A>[/tex]

I'm still not seeing how to relate vector A and B using this.. =/

What did you get when you wrote it out:

[tex]|A+B|^2=<A+B,A+B>=...[/tex]

[tex]|A-B|^2=...[/tex]

?

[itex]<A+B,A+B>=<A-B,A-B>[/itex]
By properties of the dot product..
[itex]<A,A>+2<B,A>+<B,B>=<A,A>-2<B,A>+<B,B>[/itex]

Get everything to one side and deduce from that.

We haven't learned this notation yet unfortunately. Is this the only possible approach?

Fjolvar said:
We haven't learned this notation yet unfortunately. Is this the only possible approach?

What is yor notation for the dot product then??

Related to Vector relationship? |A+B| = |A-B|

1. What is the meaning of "A+B" and "A-B" in the equation?

In this equation, A and B represent two different vectors. A+B represents the sum of these two vectors, while A-B represents the difference between them.

2. What does the absolute value notation "|" around A+B and A-B mean?

The absolute value notation indicates the magnitude or length of a vector. In this equation, it is used to compare the magnitudes of A+B and A-B.

3. How can the equation |A+B| = |A-B| be applied in real-life situations?

This equation is often used in physics and engineering to calculate the resultant force or displacement of two vectors. It can also be used in navigation and mapping to calculate the distance and direction between two points.

4. Can this equation be applied to three or more vectors?

Yes, this equation can be extended to three or more vectors. In this case, the equation would be |A+B+C+...| = |A-B-C-...|.

5. What is the relationship between the vectors A and B if |A+B| = |A-B|?

If |A+B| = |A-B|, it means that the magnitude of the sum of A and B is equal to the magnitude of the difference between them. This indicates that the two vectors are either perpendicular or parallel to each other.