Vector review for electromagnetics

In summary, if you are preparing for an engineering electromagnetics course, it is recommended to review basic vector math, partial derivatives such as curl and gradient, multivariable calculus including integrating for area and volume and Gauss's theorem for divergence. It is also useful to have knowledge of solving Laplace's equation and being familiar with different coordinate systems such as polar and spherical. These topics will help with understanding E&M concepts when applied in an engineering context.
PNGeng
I am a junior EE scheduled to take engineering electromagnetics in the Fall and want to know what math topics are the most useful to review. I know E&M involves quite a bit of vector analysis but I'm not sure how deep into it I should look. For anyone who has taken a similar course, can you recommend specific topics that you think are the most worthwhile to know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Basic vector math (adding, multiplying vectors)
Partial derivatives (Curl and gradient)
Multivariable calculus (integrating for area and volume, Gauss's theorm for divergence)

Doing all of the above in different coordinate systems (polar, spherical)

In undergraduate you probably won't get into the PDEs, but if you do knowing how to solve Laplace's equation.

Some of these things will make a lot more sense when you see them applied to EM than just reading about them from a purely mathematical standpoint (at least they did for me).

Related to Vector review for electromagnetics

1. What is a vector in electromagnetics?

A vector in electromagnetics is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. In electromagnetic theory, vectors are used to represent physical quantities such as electric and magnetic fields, displacement, and current.

2. How are vectors used in electromagnetics?

Vectors are used in electromagnetics to describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, which are essential in understanding the propagation of electromagnetic waves. Vectors are also used to calculate the direction and magnitude of forces acting on charged particles.

3. What are the key properties of vectors in electromagnetics?

The key properties of vectors in electromagnetics include magnitude, direction, and orientation. Vectors can also be added, subtracted, and multiplied by scalars to produce new vectors. Additionally, vectors can be represented in different coordinate systems, such as Cartesian and spherical coordinates.

4. How are vector operations applied in electromagnetics?

Vector operations, such as addition, subtraction, and dot and cross products, are used in electromagnetics to calculate the resulting electric and magnetic fields due to multiple sources. These operations also help in solving problems related to field strength, direction, and polarization.

5. What is the role of vector analysis in electromagnetics?

Vector analysis, also known as vector calculus, is a mathematical tool used to analyze and solve problems in electromagnetics. It involves the operations of differentiation and integration on vector fields and is crucial in deriving equations for electric and magnetic fields, as well as solving boundary value problems in electromagnetics.