Vectors and finding components

In summary, the tangent of the angle between a vector and the x-axis is square root of 3, when the x component is half the magnitude of the vector. This can be proven by drawing a right triangle and realizing that the vector, x component, and y component form a 30-60-90 triangle. Therefore, the correct answer is B (1/2).
joej24

Homework Statement

If the x component of a vector A, in the xy plane, is half as large as the magnitude of the vector, the tangent of the angle between the vector and the x-axis is:
A rad 3
B 1/2
C (rad3) / 2
D 3/2
E 3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first drew a right triangle and realized that the description fit a 30 - 60 - 90 triangle. Is it wrong to assume that the vector and its components make a right triangle?

So I assumed that the magitude of the vector was 2x, the x component x, and the y component (rad 3) x. The tangent of the angle between the angle and x-axis I would then be (rad3)x / x = rad3.
Is this correct? According to my answer sheet, the answer is D (3/2). I don't think the solution sheet is correct

Physics news on Phys.org
Y and X axis make a right angle in any reasonable coordinate system. So vector, x and y-axis will make a right triangle.
If rad means square root, then [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] is the correct answer.

Thanks! I think the answer sheet was wrong. And by rad 3 I did mean square root 3.

Related to Vectors and finding components

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is often represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector.

2. How do you find the components of a vector?

To find the components of a vector, you can use trigonometric functions and the Pythagorean theorem. The x-component is the magnitude of the vector multiplied by the cosine of the angle, and the y-component is the magnitude multiplied by the sine of the angle.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a mathematical quantity that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature and mass, while examples of vectors include velocity and force.

4. How do you add and subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you can use the head-to-tail method or the component method. The head-to-tail method involves placing the tail of one vector at the head of the other and drawing the resultant vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The component method involves finding the x and y components of each vector and adding or subtracting them separately.

5. What is the difference between a position vector and a displacement vector?

A position vector represents the location of a point in space relative to an origin, while a displacement vector represents the change in position from one point to another. Displacement vectors are often used to describe the motion of an object, while position vectors are used to describe the location of an object.