How Can You Model Coolant Cold-Side Temperature and Mass Flow Rate?

In summary: Expert summarizerIn summary, the forum poster has been struggling with modeling exhaust gas flow in a car due to issues with the temperature sensor. They need to complete the project by the end of the month and are seeking guidance on how to model the coolant temperature and mass flow rate using available data. The expert suggests using the energy balance equation and the ideal gas law to estimate these values and recommends consulting literature for more specific equations and calculations.
Jay_
Hi,

I had been communicating with Chestermiller for the past many months and I modeled the exhaust gas flowing through the pipe of a car.

Now, I had problems with the temperature sensor used, so this model couldn't be applied very well and its been a difficult time due to that. I have to complete this project by the end of this month, and I see no way out. I really need the help of you all.

At this point I have data for the following :
1. Vehicle Speed
2. Acceleration log (I created this one from the vehicle speed, by slope values between consecutive readings)
3. Engine Speed
4. Air flow into the engine (kg/s)
5. Coolant Temperature at the thermostat side

Is there a way I could model, either through available literature or equations in physics -
1. The Coolant cold-side temperature
2. The mass flow rate of the coolant

I need these two to calculate the ENERGY given off as heat through the coolant. So, I have a link that gives me the specific heat of the coolant at various temperatures. But I need some good estimate OR calculation for the coolant cold-side temperature and the mass flow rate as a function of any of the 5 'inputs' above.

This is rather urgent. I can understand if members won't give me answers directly, but quick guidance would really help. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org

I understand your frustration with the difficulties you have encountered during your project. I can offer some guidance on how you can model the coolant temperature and mass flow rate using the available data you have.

To estimate the coolant cold-side temperature, you can use the energy balance equation, which states that the heat absorbed by the coolant is equal to the heat given off by the engine. This can be represented as:

Q = m*Cp*(T2 - T1)

Where:
Q = heat absorbed by the coolant
m = mass flow rate of the coolant
Cp = specific heat of the coolant
T1 = initial temperature of the coolant
T2 = final temperature of the coolant

Using this equation, you can calculate the coolant cold-side temperature (T1) by rearranging the equation as:

T1 = T2 - (Q/(m*Cp))

To calculate the mass flow rate of the coolant, you can use the ideal gas law, which states that the mass flow rate is equal to the density of the coolant multiplied by the volumetric flow rate. This can be represented as:

m = ρ*V

Where:
m = mass flow rate of the coolant
ρ = density of the coolant
V = volumetric flow rate of the coolant

You can calculate the density of the coolant using the ideal gas law, which states that:

ρ = (P*M)/(R*T)

Where:
P = pressure of the coolant
M = molar mass of the coolant
R = universal gas constant
T = temperature of the coolant

You can estimate the pressure of the coolant using the air flow rate into the engine and the engine speed, as well as the temperature of the coolant at the thermostat side. You can also use the ideal gas law to estimate the temperature of the coolant using the pressure and density.

In summary, by using the energy balance equation and the ideal gas law, you can estimate the coolant cold-side temperature and mass flow rate. I recommend consulting literature on thermodynamics and heat transfer for more specific equations and calculations that can help you with your modeling.

I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck in completing your project by the end of the month.

1. What is vehicle coolant modelling?

Vehicle coolant modelling is the process of creating mathematical models to simulate the behavior of coolant in a vehicle's cooling system. This includes factors such as temperature, pressure, flow rate, and heat transfer.

2. Why is vehicle coolant modelling important?

Vehicle coolant modelling is important because it allows scientists and engineers to analyze and optimize the performance of a vehicle's cooling system. This can lead to improved fuel efficiency, reduced emissions, and longer engine life.

3. How is vehicle coolant modelling done?

Vehicle coolant modelling is done through the use of computer software and mathematical equations. Scientists input known parameters such as engine size, coolant type, and ambient temperature, and the software calculates the behavior of the coolant in the cooling system.

4. What are some common challenges in vehicle coolant modelling?

Some common challenges in vehicle coolant modelling include accurately representing the complex geometry of the cooling system, accounting for variations in coolant flow rate, and accurately predicting the effects of external factors such as wind and road conditions.

5. How can vehicle coolant modelling be used in practical applications?

Vehicle coolant modelling can be used to design and optimize cooling systems for new vehicles, as well as to troubleshoot and improve the performance of existing systems. It can also be used to predict the effects of changes in coolant type or other components on the overall performance of the vehicle.