Vehicle speed data historian

In summary: It sounds like what I want is the OBD-2 device, but only I have access to the data port.In summary,The dash cam is in the works, but I want as much evidence at my disposal as possible. That would include retrieving data from the vehicle blackbox with a time stamp.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
I think it would be great if cars software could historize data such as speed, using turn signals, etc which can be used in court to prove/disprove if someone was in fact speeding or didn’t use their turn signal. Why haven’t companies moved this way yet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Apart from turn signals, what makes you think they haven't?

Vanadium 50 said:
Apart from turn signals, what makes you think they haven't?
I’ve never heard of it. How can I access the data?

My mother in law has a dongle-like-thing in her car from an insurance company that tracks things like car speed.
If you don't speed, you get better insurance rates.

Likes OmCheeto and berkeman
BillTre said:
My mother in law has a dongle-like-thing in her car from an insurance company that tracks things like car speed.
If you don't speed, you get better insurance rates.
You beat me to it. Here is a link with more info: https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/how-do-those-car-insurance-tracking-devices-work

Likes BillTre
@BillTre and @berkeman, note that the data port is a way to access the data in real time via a stand alone device or bluetooth adapter, but I don't think you can access the car's actual black box that way.

...which isn't to say that wouldn't still meet the OP's needs.

Likes BillTre
russ_watters said:
If you forgive the tone, this is informative:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech.../26/keep-your-car-black-box-private/20609035/

Edit: a dash camera might meet your requirements. They can record speed and hear your turn signals.
The dash cam is in the works, but I want as much evidence at my disposal as possible. That would include retrieving data from the vehicle blackbox with a time stamp.

Maylis said:
The dash cam is in the works, but I want as much evidence at my disposal as possible
Research apps that can monitor the data in real time and record it. I'm not sure if a stand alone device exactly matching what you want exists though.

...edit: I've seen ones for parents to monitor kids though.

Likes BillTre and gfd43tg
russ_watters said:
Research apps that can monitor the data in real time and record it. I'm not sure if a stand alone device exactly matching what you want exists though.

...edit: I've seen ones for parents to monitor kids though.

It sounds like what I want is the OBD-2 device, but only I have access to the data

1. What is a vehicle speed data historian?

A vehicle speed data historian is a system that collects and stores data related to vehicle speed over a period of time. This data can include information such as average speed, distance traveled, and acceleration and deceleration patterns.

2. How does a vehicle speed data historian work?

A vehicle speed data historian typically uses sensors and GPS technology to collect data from a vehicle's onboard computer. This data is then stored in a database or cloud storage system for analysis and future reference.

3. What are the benefits of using a vehicle speed data historian?

Using a vehicle speed data historian can provide valuable insights into driving patterns, fuel efficiency, and potential safety concerns. It can also be used to track vehicle performance and identify areas for improvement.

4. Can a vehicle speed data historian be used for commercial purposes?

Yes, a vehicle speed data historian can be used for commercial purposes, such as fleet management. It can help companies optimize routes, monitor driver behavior, and improve overall efficiency.

5. Is there a limit to how much data a vehicle speed data historian can store?

The amount of data a vehicle speed data historian can store depends on the specific system and storage capacity. However, many systems have the ability to store large amounts of data and can be expanded as needed.