Velocity comparison -- Which thrown mass hits the ground first?

In summary, the conversation discusses a potential error in a test question involving the timing of two objects hitting the ground simultaneously. The speaker questions the correctness of their initial answer and is advised to consider new perspectives and not second guess themselves in future tests. There is also a discussion about whether to consider air resistance and the velocity of the first object at the moment the second one is thrown downwards. The conversation concludes with a reminder to follow forum rules and not provide a full solution without the original poster doing the calculations themselves.
mathbrain9
Homework Statement
A person is on a bridge is an object is thrown up at 10m/s with it going to the edge of the bridge. The person throws a 2nd object 10m/s down when the 1st is at the edge. Which makes it first?
Relevant Equations
v= d/t
On the test, I said they hit the ground simultaneously. However, that, in retrospect, doesn't seem to be the correct solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you think that's right?

Likes topsquark
mathbrain9 said:
On the test, I said they hit the ground simultaneously. However, that, in retrospect, doesn't seem to be the correct solution.
What new perspective after the test made you change your mind? It is important that you figure this out because you don't want to second guess yourself when the next test comes around.

Likes topsquark
Does it specify whether to ignore air resistance?

What is the velocity of the first object at the instance you throw the second one downwards? Assume we are ignoring air resistance.

As I am unwell, I haven't done any calculations. But I think I know whether your first answer was right or wrong, and someone might do the sums for you eventually to check it.

Likes topsquark
DrJohn said:
someone might do the sums for you eventually to check it.
The forum rules prohibit any of us from doing those sums until the OP has done so. Meanwhile, the OP has not posted anything beyond the original post here. It would be improper to respond to "I thought the answer was X but now I am not sure" with a correct solution, a full mathematical treatment and the reasoning connecting the two. That would not be fair to the other posters who actually go to the trouble of showing their work.

Likes topsquark and DrJohn

1. What is velocity comparison?

Velocity comparison is the process of comparing the speed or rate of motion of two or more objects.

2. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by an object by the time it takes to travel that distance.

3. Why is it important to compare velocities?

Comparing velocities can provide insight into the relative speeds of different objects, and can help determine which object will reach a certain destination first.

4. What factors affect velocity comparison?

The mass and shape of the objects, as well as any external forces such as air resistance, can affect the velocity comparison between two objects.

5. How can I determine which thrown mass will hit the ground first?

To determine which thrown mass will hit the ground first, you can use the equation for velocity (v = d/t) and calculate the time it takes for each object to reach the ground. The object with the shorter time will hit the ground first.