Velocity of a fluid within a pipe

In summary, a scientist is modeling the flow of blood through an artery using a hollow pipe and a fluid density of 1060kg/m^3. They place a constriction in the pipe to study blockages and need to find the speed of the fluid as it passes through the narrowest point. Bernoulli's equation can be used, and the pressures at P1 and P2 do not need to be known as mass flow must remain constant in the pipe. The density (p) of the fluid is used in the equation and it is assumed that blood cannot be compressed.
tooperoo

Homework Statement

A scientist attempts to model the flow of blood through an artery using a hollow pipe of diameter 1.8cm. A fluid density 1060kg/m^3 is used to simulate blood in the pipe. Viscous effects can be considered to be negligible.

TO study a blockage in an artery, the scientist holds the pipe horizontally and places a constriction in the pipe reducing the diameter to 1.1 cm. What is the speed of the fluid as it passes through the narrowest point of the blockage? Assume that the speed in the un-constricted region is 0.75m/s.

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's
P1 + 1/2pV1^2 +pgh = P2 + 1/2pV2^2 +pgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using Bernoullis but i keep getting stuck cause i don't know what the pressures at P1 and P2 are.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need any pressures, just consider that mass does not vanish in the pipe: mass flow has to be the same everywhere, and you can assume that blood cannot be compressed.

Ohhh, so I should use the formula p1*v1*A1 = p2*v2*A2?Thanks bud!

My apologies, p1 and p2 are the density. I think they're called rho?

Ah, okay.
Well, blood cannot be compressed (in relevant amounts).

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a fluid within a pipe?

The formula for calculating the velocity of a fluid within a pipe is V = Q/A, where V is the velocity, Q is the volumetric flow rate, and A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe. This formula is known as the Continuity Equation.

2. How does the diameter of the pipe affect the velocity of the fluid?

The diameter of the pipe has a direct impact on the velocity of the fluid. As the diameter of the pipe decreases, the velocity of the fluid increases. This is because the same amount of fluid needs to flow through a smaller cross-sectional area, resulting in a higher velocity.

3. What factors can affect the velocity of a fluid within a pipe?

Besides the diameter of the pipe, the velocity of a fluid within a pipe can also be affected by the density and viscosity of the fluid, as well as the pressure difference between the two ends of the pipe. Additionally, any obstructions or changes in the pipe's shape can also impact the velocity of the fluid.

4. How is the velocity of a fluid within a pipe measured?

The velocity of a fluid within a pipe can be measured using various methods, including flow meters, pitot tubes, and ultrasonic sensors. These devices measure the velocity based on the principles of fluid dynamics, such as the Bernoulli's equation or the principle of continuity.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding the velocity of a fluid within a pipe?

Understanding the velocity of a fluid within a pipe is crucial in many industrial and engineering applications. It is used in designing and optimizing pipelines, calculating the flow rate of water in plumbing systems, and determining the efficiency of pumps and turbines. It also plays a significant role in the study of fluid mechanics and the development of new technologies such as aerodynamics and hydraulics.