Velocity of Head from Car Accident

In summary, the conversation discussed a head-on collision where the friend was traveling at 35 mph and collided with another car traveling at 30 mph. The impact caused a contusion on the friend's forehead, but no skull fractures. The calculation of the force applied to the forehead was mentioned, taking into account the velocity of the cars, the force of impact, the velocity of the airbag deployment, and the force of its impact. The speaker also mentioned the velocity of the friend's head whipping forward towards the airbag. However, it was noted that the airbag deploys quickly and with a light force, which is absorbed by the skin and does not reach the brain. Therefore, it is not an easy calculation to determine the force
KateinChicago
My friend was in a head-on collision this week. They were traveling approximately 35 mph. A car collided with them head-on traveling at approximately 30 mph. The airbag deployed, and the impact caused a tremendous contusion on my friend's forehead, but no skull fractures. It's been years since I've had physics, but I was wondering how much force (roughly) was "applied" to my friends forehead to cause his blunt-force trauma injury? The two cars were smaller-sized sedans (not compact cars or SUVs). There would be the velocity of the cars traveling toward each other, the force of their impact, the velocity of the airbag deploying, and the force of its impact, and then there's the velocity of my friend's head whipping foreward toward the airbag. I'm sure this is an easy calculation if I knew exactly what to imput. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's really not an easy calculation and you can forget about the speed of the cars: the airbag deploys extremely fast, but is light and should be just about fully deployed when you it/it hits you, so it hits you with a very large force for a very short time. The time of the impact between the airbag and your forhead is so short that it never transmits to your brain - it stops at your skin. Basically, your skin stops the airbag very quickly, then the pressure of the air inside the airbag stops your head in a much longer time.

Related to Velocity of Head from Car Accident

1. What is the velocity of the head during a car accident?

The velocity of the head during a car accident can vary greatly depending on the speed of the vehicles involved, the angle of impact, and the use of safety restraints. On average, the head may experience a velocity of 30 miles per hour or more during a car accident.

2. How is the velocity of the head from a car accident measured?

The velocity of the head from a car accident can be measured using various methods, such as crash test dummies equipped with sensors, high-speed cameras, and computer simulations. These methods help to accurately determine the velocity of the head at impact and throughout the duration of the accident.

3. What factors can affect the velocity of the head during a car accident?

The velocity of the head during a car accident can be affected by several factors, including the speed of the vehicles, the weight and size of the vehicles, the use of safety restraints, and the type and severity of the impact. Other factors such as road conditions and weather may also play a role in the velocity of the head during a car accident.

4. Is the velocity of the head from a car accident dangerous?

Yes, the velocity of the head during a car accident can be dangerous and even life-threatening. The force and impact of a car accident can cause serious injuries, including traumatic brain injuries, whiplash, and fractures. It is important to always wear safety restraints and follow traffic laws to reduce the risk of accidents and minimize the velocity of the head.

5. Can the velocity of the head during a car accident be reduced?

Yes, the velocity of the head during a car accident can be reduced by wearing safety restraints, such as seatbelts and airbags. Properly using safety restraints can help to distribute the force of impact and reduce the risk of serious injuries. Additionally, following traffic laws and practicing safe driving habits can help to prevent accidents and reduce the velocity of the head during a car accident.