Velocity saturation and mobility in metals and semiconductor

In summary, the conversation discusses the conduction properties of metals and semiconductors, with a focus on two questions. The first question is whether velocity saturation occurs in metals after a certain limit, and the second question is why the mobility is larger in semiconductors compared to metals. The answer to the second question is related to the effective mass of electrons, which can be lower in semiconductors such as silicon.
radius2
Hi,

Lately, I've been trying to compare and understand conduction properties of metals and semiconductors. However, there are two question on my mind that I'm still trying to figure out. Maybe someone here might be able to provide some clues.

1. It is known that a linear increase of the electric field over a semiconductor results in a corresponding linear increase of the drift velocity of the carriers. However, after a certain field strength, the carrier drift velocity saturates and doesn't increase linearly with the field anymore. My question is, does velocity saturation occur in metals too after a certain limit and if not, why?

2. According to what I have been able to find, the mobility for semiconductors is higher than for metals. For example, electron mobility in intrinsic silicon is μ=0,135m^2/Vs while electron mobility in copper is μ=0,0044m^2/Vs. Of course, copper is still a much better conductor due to the high concentration of free electrons. However I'm trying to figure out: why is mobility larger in semiconductors?

Hi,
I'm not sure if your statement no 1 is correct, but I can answer your no 2 question.
Mobility is defined as ## \mu = \frac V E ## where V is extra velocity due to the applied field. From Newton's law ## m_{eff}V = eE\tau ## where ## \tau ## is scattering time. Combining the two equation you get ## \mu = \frac {e\tau}m_{eff} ##.
In a typical metal, such as copper, the effective mass is close to the mass of a free electron, but in, for example, silicon, the effective mass of electrons can be as low as 0.19, hence higher mobility (the effective mass of electrons in silicon is anisotropic, so it is a bit more complicated that that).

1. What is velocity saturation in metals and semiconductors?

Velocity saturation is a phenomenon that occurs in metals and semiconductors when the electrons traveling through the material reach a maximum velocity due to the increasing electric field. This means that even if the electric field is increased, the electrons will not increase in velocity beyond this point.

2. How does velocity saturation affect the mobility of electrons?

Velocity saturation can significantly impact the mobility of electrons in metals and semiconductors. As the electrons reach their maximum velocity, their mobility decreases, meaning they are less able to move through the material and contribute to electrical conductivity.

3. What causes velocity saturation in metals and semiconductors?

The main cause of velocity saturation in metals and semiconductors is scattering of electrons due to interactions with the crystal lattice. As the electric field increases, the likelihood of these interactions also increases, eventually leading to velocity saturation.

4. Can velocity saturation be overcome in metals and semiconductors?

In some cases, it is possible to overcome velocity saturation by using materials with a lower bandgap or by using a different type of semiconductor material. Additionally, reducing the temperature of the material can also help to reduce the effects of velocity saturation.

5. How does velocity saturation impact the performance of electronic devices?

Velocity saturation can limit the performance of electronic devices by reducing the mobility of electrons and decreasing the overall conductivity of the material. This can lead to slower operation and a decrease in the efficiency of the device.