Velocity vs mass modeling

In summary: However, if the slope is now 100 times larger, it seems that the equation should be v^2 (m^2/s^2) = 100.00 (kgm^2/S^2)/m(kg). But then when I try to solve for m = 0.3, I get v = 17.32, which does not match the original data at all. So I am still a bit confused.
hahame

Homework Statement

Below is a table for some experiment data:
m(kg) - v(m/s)
0.1 - 3.16
0.2 - 2.24
0.3 - 1.83
0.4 - 1.58
0.5 - 1.41
0.6 - 1.29
0.7 - 1.20
0.8 - 1.12

As the mathematical model for these data, I put v^2 (m^2/s^2) = 1.00 (kgm^2/S^2)/m(kg).

Another set of experiments finds for the exact same velocities as before, but the slope is 100 times larger.
What would be the new mathematical equation for this new experiment? (the dataset for this new experiment given in the problem is just the same as the old data above. But Question: if the slope is 100 larger than before, how is it possible for the old and new experiment both to have the same result data?)

Homework Equations

v^2 (m^2/s^2) = 1.00 (kgm^2/S^2)/m(kg) (my guess for the old experiment?)

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought it would simply be v^2 (m^2/s^2) = 100.00 (kgm^2/S^2)/m(kg),
however, was confused if it should be v^2 (m^2/s^2) = 10000.00 (kgm^2/S^2)/m(kg), since the left part of the equation is v^2, not v.

However, I got really stuck when I solved for m = 0.3, neither of my guessed answers gave me v = 1.83.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me with figuring out the right mathematical model for the new experiment and making sense of the data table being the same for both old and new experiment.

Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
hahame said:

Homework Statement

Below is a table for some experiment data:
m(kg) - v(m/s)
0.1 - 3.16
0.2 - 2.24
0.3 - 1.83
0.4 - 1.58
0.5 - 1.41
0.6 - 1.29
0.7 - 1.20
0.8 - 1.12

As the mathematical model for these data, I put v^2 (m^2/s^2) = 1.00 (kgm^2/S^2)/m(kg).

Another set of experiments finds for the exact same velocities as before, but the slope is 100 times larger.
What would be the new mathematical equation for this new experiment? (the dataset for this new experiment given in the problem is just the same as the old data above. But Question: if the slope is 100 larger than before, how is it possible for the old and new experiment both to have the same result data?)

Homework Equations

v^2 (m^2/s^2) = 1.00 (kgm^2/S^2)/m(kg) (my guess for the old experiment?)

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought it would simply be v^2 (m^2/s^2) = 100.00 (kgm^2/S^2)/m(kg),
however, was confused if it should be v^2 (m^2/s^2) = 10000.00 (kgm^2/S^2)/m(kg), since the left part of the equation is v^2, not v.

However, I got really stuck when I solved for m = 0.3, neither of my guessed answers gave me v = 1.83.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me with figuring out the right mathematical model for the new experiment and making sense of the data table being the same for both old and new experiment.

Thanks! :)
It's not clear why you are squaring the velocity.

Have you plotted this data, to see what kind of curve might be suitable?

SteamKing said:
It's not clear why you are squaring the velocity.

Have you plotted this data, to see what kind of curve might be suitable?

Yes! I used excel, and it gave me v = 1/m^-0.5, which is the same as v^2 (m^2/s^2) = 1.00 (kgm^2/S^2)/m(kg).
I squared the equation because that was the only suitable option from the given choices in the original problem.

1. What is velocity vs mass modeling?

Velocity vs mass modeling is a scientific method used to study the relationship between an object's velocity and its mass. It involves analyzing an object's motion and calculating its velocity at different mass values.

2. How is velocity vs mass modeling used in science?

Velocity vs mass modeling is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It helps scientists understand the behavior and properties of different objects, such as planets, atoms, and vehicles.

3. What are the key factors that influence velocity vs mass modeling?

The key factors that influence velocity vs mass modeling include the object's mass, its velocity, and external forces such as gravity and air resistance. Other factors may also include the object's shape, size, and composition.

4. How accurate is velocity vs mass modeling?

The accuracy of velocity vs mass modeling depends on various factors, such as the precision of measurements, the complexity of the object's motion, and the assumptions made in the model. In general, the model becomes more accurate with more precise measurements and fewer simplifying assumptions.

5. What are the limitations of velocity vs mass modeling?

Velocity vs mass modeling has some limitations, including the assumption of a constant velocity and the neglect of external factors such as friction. It also becomes more complex when dealing with non-uniform or changing velocities. Additionally, the accuracy of the model may decrease as the object's velocity approaches the speed of light.