Venn Diagram Homework: Understanding the Basics for 3rd Graders

In summary, the 3rd grader is having trouble completing the homework and we can't figure out how to do the problem on the 2nd page. The example on the first page helps us understand the problem. The homework is in french, but I can translate more to English if someone wants.
revv
image (1).jpg
image.jpg

Okay so I have a friend who has a 3rd grader and is 7 years old and he is having trouble completing this homework... we can't figure out how to do the problem on the 2nd page, we understand the example in the first page

Page 1 Is the example page.

I am going to attempt to translate to English what is written in french on the 2nd page.
  • Homework Statement

(Page 2) Blue, Red, Red, Yellow, Green, Green, Blue.

(Page 2) Add the blocs in this table.

(Page 2) Height\Color | Red | Green | Yellow | Blue |

(Page 2) Big:

(Page 2) Small:

2. Homework Equations

We can't figure it out, is there missing something? On the first page the Diagram of Venn says "2 holes" on the top left corner and "Round" on the right top corner but there isn't any of that on the Diagram of Venn on the 2nd page... So how are we suppose to know what to do?

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I think I understand the basics of Diagrams Venn for example Circle A and Circle B are two things and in the middle it is something that has both similar things in common with both A and B

The homework is in french, but I can translate more to English if someone wants.

I tried my best to try and explain this hopefully someone understand :/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can just choose the labels for the two classes in the Venn diagram. For example, you could label them "Grand" and "Petit", or you could label them "Triangle" and "Rectangle", or "Petit" and "Rouge", etc.
The first two have no intersection and the first has nothing that is excluded from both sets, so the third might be more interesting.

I don't know what they would think if you chose "Orange" and "Pentagons" say, since all the objects would be outside both sets, or "Polygons" and "Coloured" where all the objects are in the intersection, but I can't see anything in the question.to preclude these!

So in your example problem, you have the left oval contains items with 2 holes. The right oval contains items which are round.
The square with 4 holes does not fit into either category, but it is in the total set of objects that you are considering. So it is inside the rectangle but outside of both ovals. The two circles which have 2 holes meet the criteria for both ovals, so they are in the intersection.

First fill out the table, then pick 2 criteria that you want to use to categorize them. Assign the left oval one criteria (Grand, for example), and the right oval would be the other criteria (maybe 4 sided object). There will be some in the intersection, and there will be some which are outside of both ovals.

revv said:
Yes that looks good. By the way, you can use BBcode to embed an imgur image right into your post. Like this:
eVfWM92.png

Here is some information on how to do it (straight from the imgur forum).
Go to imgur.com and click on the menu with your name as header (it's on the top right)
Select the "images" item
Click on anyone of your images
A lightbox opens with the image on the left and a bunch of linking / sharing options on the right.
Two BBCode variants are at the bottom.

You would type something like this, to get the image to embed.
you type the open square bracket, then img then close square bracket.
then type your link, https://i.imgur.com/eVfWM92.png then square bracket and /img

Attachments

• eVfWM92.png
    eVfWM92.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 465
I don't think you have to write the words "small green" as it is the intersection of "small" items and "green" items, so that is understood.

Ok got it! Thank you all!

What is a Venn Diagram?

A Venn Diagram is a graphical representation of the relationships between different sets of data. It consists of overlapping circles or other shapes, with each circle representing a category or set and the overlapping areas representing the similarities or common elements between the sets.

How do I create a Venn Diagram?

To create a Venn Diagram, you can use a pen and paper or a digital tool such as Microsoft Excel or Google Drawings. First, identify the sets or categories you want to compare. Then, draw overlapping circles or shapes and label each one with a category. Finally, fill in the overlapping areas with the common elements or characteristics.

What is the purpose of a Venn Diagram?

The purpose of a Venn Diagram is to visually represent the relationships and similarities between different sets of data. It can help you analyze and compare complex information and identify patterns or connections between different categories or groups.

How do I read a Venn Diagram?

To read a Venn Diagram, start by examining the individual sets and their labels. Then, look at the overlapping areas and identify the common elements or characteristics. The size of the overlapping area can also indicate the importance or prevalence of a particular set or category.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when creating a Venn Diagram?

Some common mistakes to avoid when creating a Venn Diagram include using overlapping circles that do not accurately represent the data, not labeling the sets or categories correctly, and not filling in the overlapping areas with the correct information. It is also important to use consistent and clear labeling, colors, and symbols for each set to avoid confusion.