What is the relationship between fluid pressure and the Venturi effect?

In summary, the venturi effect is a phenomenon where the fluid pressure decreases as it passes through a constriction, resulting in an increase in fluid velocity. This is due to the conservation of energy and is explained by Bernoulli's principle. In the simplified case, where there is no compression or external forces acting on the fluid, the total energy per unit volume remains constant, so an increase in kinetic energy leads to a decrease in static pressure. This concept is further explained in the frame invariant form of Bernoulli's principle.
Metals
So I recently looked into the venturi effect, only to be confused. I had always been aware that a lower available volume would result in a higher pressure, yet I had read that fluid passing through a constriction is actually subjected to less pressure than the diverging sides of a pipe. I had thought that the increase in fluid velocity was due to an increase in pressure (from a smaller volume).

Why is there less fluid pressure in a constriction as opposed to a section of a tube with a larger volume?

Is the decrease in pressure from the constriction the reason why fluid flows faster through it? I thought fluid went faster because it had to maintain the same volume/time ratio through a smaller volume, which should result in a higher pressure (force/volume=pressure).

I'd appreciate a clear answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the simplified case, no compression occurs, mass flow is constant throughout the venturi, and no external forces act on the fluid, so the total energy per unit volume of the gas or fluid remains constant. If the kinetic energy per unit volume increases due to an increase in speed, then the static pressure (energy per unit volume) decreases.

Wiki links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle

There is a frame invariant form of Bernoulli, which is described in this pdf file:

http://www.loreto.unican.es/Carpeta2012/EJP%28Mungan%29Bernoulli%282011%29.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the Venturi effect?

The Venturi effect is a phenomenon that occurs when a fluid, such as air or water, flows through a constricted section of a pipe. This causes the velocity of the fluid to increase and the pressure to decrease. It was discovered by Italian physicist Giovanni Battista Venturi in the 18th century.

How does the Venturi effect affect pressure?

The Venturi effect causes the pressure of a fluid to decrease as it flows through a constricted section of a pipe. This decrease in pressure is due to the increase in velocity of the fluid. This principle is used in many applications, such as carburetors in engines and air intakes in airplanes.

What factors affect the Venturi effect?

The Venturi effect is affected by the shape and size of the constricted section of the pipe, as well as the density and viscosity of the fluid. It is also influenced by the velocity of the fluid and the pressure difference between the two ends of the pipe.

What are some real-world applications of the Venturi effect?

The Venturi effect has many practical applications, such as in carburetors, where it is used to mix air and fuel for combustion in engines. It is also used in spray nozzles, where a decrease in pressure causes the liquid to break into smaller droplets, and in medical devices, such as nebulizers, to create a fine mist for inhalation.

How is the Venturi effect related to Bernoulli's principle?

The Venturi effect is a direct result of Bernoulli's principle, which states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases. In a constricted section of a pipe, the velocity of the fluid increases, causing a decrease in pressure. This principle is also used to explain lift in airplane wings and the movement of air over a curved surface.