Verify Calculus Answers: Ensuring Accuracy

In summary: You've simplified it as far as it can go, I believe.In summary, the difference quotient for f(x) = x^3 is 3a^2 + 3ah + h^2 and the difference quotient for f(x) = (x+3)/(x+1) is -1/(x+1). The user has also verified their work and determined that it cannot be simplified any further.
linuxwolf
Let me start off with, I took calculus in high school 11 years ago. I'm now studying again to clep out of the class and want to verify that I'm remembering / learning things properly.

Homework Statement

Evaluate the difference quotient for the given function. Simplify your answer.

Homework Equations

20) f(x) = x^3, [f(a+h) - f(a)] / h

22) f(x) = (x+3) / (x+1), [f(x) - f(1)] / (x-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

20) [(a+3h)^3 -a^3] / h
(a^3 + 3a^2h + 3ah^2 + h^3 - a^3) / h
(3a^2h +3ah^2 + h^3)/h
3a^2 + 3ah + h^2

22) [ (x+3) / (x+1) - (1+3) / 1+1) ] / (x-1)
Focusing on top first:
(x+3) / (x+1) - 4/2
(x+3) / (x+1) - 2/1
[1 * (x+3)] /[1 * (x+1)] - [2 * (x+1)] / [ 1 * (x+1) ]
[(x+3) - (2x+2) ] / (x+1)
(1-x) / (x+1)

Now add the bottom back in
[(1-x) / (x+1)] * 1/(x-1)
[-1(x-1) / (x+1)] * 1/(x-1)

ANSWER:
-1/(x+1)I just want to verify I did that all right. I'm also having trouble remembering how, if possible, to simplify problem number 20. Don't have a teacher to go to so I can verify my answers to non odd problems. I appreciate any feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org
linuxwolf said:

The Attempt at a Solution

20) [(a+3h)^3 -a^3] / h
(a^3 + 3a^2h + 3ah^2 + h^3 - a^3) / h
(3a^2h +3ah^2 + h^3)/h
3a^2h + 3ah + h^2

Take another look at what happened between those two steps.

I realized that, and edited original post..

Originally last line in problem 20 said: 3a^2h + 3ah + h^2

should have read:

3a^2 + 3ah + h^2

I have it written in my paper that way, just typoed. Sorry. Still need to see if can simplify that any further, I'm thinking not, but want to verify. Also want to verify that my thoughts / work is all correct to this step.

linuxwolf said:
I realized that, and edited original post..

Originally last line in problem 20 said: 3a^2h + 3ah + h^2

should have read:

3a^2 + 3ah + h^2

I have it written in my paper that way, just typoed. Sorry. Still need to see if can simplify that any further, I'm thinking not, but want to verify. Also want to verify that my thoughts / work is all correct to this step.

Well, if you're actually taking the derivative, you can take the limit as h approaches 0. Are you doing that?

No. as stated in the original post... Directions say to evaluate the difference quotient

linuxwolf said:
No. as stated in the original post... Directions say to evaluate the difference quotient

Don't really see much else you can do here then.

Related to Verify Calculus Answers: Ensuring Accuracy

1. What is the purpose of verifying calculus answers?

The purpose of verifying calculus answers is to ensure accuracy and correctness in mathematical calculations. This is important in order to avoid errors and mistakes that can lead to incorrect conclusions and solutions.

2. How can I verify my calculus answers?

You can verify your calculus answers by following a systematic approach, which includes checking each step of your solution, plugging in the values given in the problem, using the correct formulas and rules, and comparing your answer to a known solution or the answer provided in the back of the textbook.

3. What are some common mistakes to watch out for when verifying calculus answers?

Some common mistakes to watch out for when verifying calculus answers include computation errors, incorrect use of formulas and rules, and missing important steps in the solution. It is also important to double check the given problem and make sure that all the necessary information is included in the solution.

4. Are there any specific strategies for verifying the accuracy of calculus answers?

Yes, there are some specific strategies that can help in verifying the accuracy of calculus answers. Some of these strategies include breaking down the problem into smaller steps, using alternative methods to solve the problem, and working backwards from the answer to check if it satisfies the given conditions.

5. How important is it to verify calculus answers?

It is extremely important to verify calculus answers in order to ensure accuracy and correctness in mathematical calculations. In addition, verifying answers can also help in identifying and correcting any mistakes or errors, which can improve overall understanding and performance in calculus.