Verify that the integers 1949 and 1951 are twin primes

In summary: I have to wonder if there is more context to the conversation that would make the result more nontrivial.
Math100
Homework Statement
Verify that the integers 1949 and 1951 are twin primes.
Relevant Equations
None.
Proof:

Consider all primes ## p\leq \sqrt{1949} \leq 43 ## and ## q\leq \sqrt{1951} \leq 43 ##.
Then we have ## p\nmid 1949 ## and ## q\nmid 1951 ## for all ## p\leq 43 ##.
Thus, ## 1949 ## and ## 1951 ## are both primes.
By definition, twin primes are two prime numbers whose difference is ## 2 ##.
Note that ## 1951-1949=2 ##.
Therefore, the integers ## 1949 ## and ## 1951 ## are twin primes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: Verify that the integers 1949 and 1951 are twin primes.
Relevant Equations:: None.

Proof:
No. The problem is not asking for a proof, just a verification that both 1949 and 1951 are prime. If so, given that they are 2 apart, they would then be twin primes.
Math100 said:
Consider all primes ## p\leq \sqrt{1949} \leq 43 ## and ## q\leq \sqrt{1951} \leq 43 ##.
Then we have ## p\nmid 1949 ## and ## q\nmid 1951 ## for all ## p\leq 43 ##.
Do we? In the verification you should show which primes you considered. It's not sufficient to go from "Consider all primes..." to "Then we have ... " with no actual justification shown.

Obviously, you don't need to consider any even number, including 2, the only even prime. Nor do you need to consider 3 or any of its multiples, since the sets of digits of 1949 and 1951 do not add to a multiple of 3. You also don't need to consider 5.

Please show us the primes that you actually considered.
Math100 said:
Thus, ## 1949 ## and ## 1951 ## are both primes.
By definition, twin primes are two prime numbers whose difference is ## 2 ##.
Note that ## 1951-1949=2 ##.
Therefore, the integers ## 1949 ## and ## 1951 ## are twin primes.

Likes fishturtle1
You could check that the remainer of ##1951## upon division by all the primes up to ##43## is not ##0## or ##2##. If it were ##2## then the prime in question would divide ##1949##.

That's if you want to do it without a computer.

Likes fishturtle1
You have given a bad answer here, possibly not having understood the question.

Mark 44 has explained to you what the question is, and reminded you of the only known way, roughly speaking, of finding out whether a given number is prime, in the absence of other information.

After which, after knowing how you verify the first prime the question you should ask yourself is do I have to go through the same thing again for the second? - or can the fact that the second number is 2 greater than the first then be used to economise on calculation? PeroK has given you the answer to that.

Only remains to do the said calculation. No one here will blame you for not doing it!

You are getting rather a lot of your answers to these many problems you are bringing us wrong. And most of the problems seem to me trivial, although they might be hard work sometimes.

it is at least debatable whether these exercises have any value at all. And I suspect you are getting them wrong because fundamentally they are boring you out of your mind. I do not know what your position is but if I were in it I might if possible (a) ask your Prof when are we going to start some real math? or (b) quit this particular course in favour of almost any other. I guarantee, you are never going to need this stuff.

(True I could never get very interested in numbers, even so I believe number theory is something better than this rubbish.).

Last edited:
epenguin said:
You have given a very bad answer here, possibly not having understood the question.
What's wrong with it? In the OP, they use the theorem that to show ##n## is prime, it is sufficient to show all primes ##p \le \sqrt{n}## do not divide ##n##.

In fact, I really don't see anything wrong with the OP. Maybe other than writing something like ##\lfloor \sqrt{1949} \rfloor = 44##.

Likes Math100
fishturtle1 said:
What's wrong with it? In the OP, they use the theorem that to show ##n## is prime, it is sufficient to show all primes ##p \le \sqrt{n}## do not divide ##n##.

In fact, I really don't see anything wrong with the OP. Maybe other than writing something like ##\lfloor \sqrt{1949} \rfloor = 44##.
I cannot see that the OP shows what your 2nd sentence says. It at most asserts that the two numbers are primes.

I cannot believe that the question is as trivial as 'verify that the two primes, 1949 and 1951 are twin'!

fishturtle1 said:

epenguin said:
I cannot see that the OP shows what your 2nd sentence says. It at most asserts that the two numbers are primes.
I agree. The problem entails a bit more work than merely saying "Thus, 1949 and 1951 are primes."
epenguin said:
I cannot believe that the question is as trivial as 'verify that the two primes, 1949 and 1951 are twin'!
I don't have access to the textbook in use here, so I'll assume that the problem was given exactly as written in the OP.

Likes fishturtle1
fishturtle1 said:

The OP's reasoning is correct; it's just a matter of showing the appropriate level of work. If @Mark44 were to assert that he tested divisibility by all of the primes less than 44, I'd be inclined to trust that he did it correctly. However, for a student learning about primes, I'd want to see evidence that they actually did the divisions, did them correctly, included all of the prime numbers, etc. There are a lot of places students can make mistakes.

epenguin said:
This problem does seem to involve a bit of busy work.

Likes fishturtle1
vela said:
The OP's reasoning is correct; it's just a matter of showing the appropriate level of work. If @Mark44 were to assert that he tested divisibility by all of the primes less than 44, I'd be inclined to trust that he did it correctly. However, for a student learning about primes, I'd want to see evidence that they actually did the divisions, did them correctly, included all of the prime numbers, etc. There are a lot of places students can make mistakes.
I had not thought of that. Rereading this thread, I completely agree with the points made by Mark and Perok and hope the OP understands them. I think i was mainly just reacting to some of the things in post #4.

Apologies and hopefully the thread gets back on track.

1. What are twin primes?

Twin primes are a pair of prime numbers that are only two numbers apart from each other. In other words, they are two prime numbers that differ by 2.

2. Why is it important to verify that 1949 and 1951 are twin primes?

Verifying that two numbers are twin primes is important because it helps us understand the distribution of prime numbers and their patterns. It also allows us to test and improve existing prime number algorithms.

3. How do you verify that 1949 and 1951 are twin primes?

To verify that 1949 and 1951 are twin primes, we need to check if both numbers are prime and if they differ by 2. We can use a calculator or a prime number checker program to do this.

4. What is the significance of 1949 and 1951 being twin primes?

The significance of 1949 and 1951 being twin primes is that they are part of a rare set of twin primes. As the numbers get larger, the occurrence of twin primes becomes less frequent, making these pairs of numbers special and interesting to mathematicians.

5. Are there any other twin primes besides 1949 and 1951?

Yes, there are many other twin primes. Some examples include 3 and 5, 11 and 13, and 41 and 43. However, as the numbers get larger, the occurrence of twin primes becomes less frequent.