Verify the commutation relations for x and p by definition.

In summary, the book asks you to verify the commutation relation using the definition of momentum, but you are not sure how to do it.
pdxautodidact

Homework Statement

Verify ##\left[ x^{i} , p_{k}\right] = i \hbar \delta^{i}_{k}##

Homework Equations

## p_{j} = -i \hbar \partial_{j}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Writing it out i get
$$ i \hbar \left( \partial_{k} x^{j} - x^{j} \partial_{k} \right)$$
The Kronecker makes perfect sense, it's identically zero unless k=j. Assuming it does, I arrive at:
$$ i \hbar \delta^{j}_{k} \left( \partial_{k} x^{j} - x^{j} \partial_{k} \right)$$

I assume I am missing something obvious, because most of the problem in this book are pretty straight forward, but this one's been a pain. I'm not doing any coursework, I already did my undergrad and am in limbo.

*Note Einstein convention is in use*
cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should apply the commutator to a test function f(xk) (which is shorthand for f(x1, x2, x3) because k is a free index) and work out what the partials do with it.

CompuChip said:
You should apply the commutator to a test function f(xk) (which is shorthand for f(x1, x2, x3) because k is a free index) and work out what the partials do with it.

I don't follow, do you mean what the term in parenthesis becomes when i=J? (## 1- x \bullet \nabla##). The book's question specifically says verify the commutation relation using the definition of momentum given. Sorry, I should have been more precise maybe?

I mean that "##(\partial_k x^j - x^j \partial_k)##" by itself does not make sense. You should consider a test function f and work out what
$$(\partial_k x^j - x^j \partial_k)f$$
is, taking into account things like the product (Leibniz) rule.

I assume that by "use the definition of momentum" they just mean you should use ## p_{j} = -i \hbar \partial_{j}## as you have already done.

Likes 1 person
CompuChip said:
I mean that "##(\partial_k x^j - x^j \partial_k)##" by itself does not make sense. You should consider a test function f and work out what
$$(\partial_k x^j - x^j \partial_k)f$$
is, taking into account things like the product (Leibniz) rule.

I assume that by "use the definition of momentum" they just mean you should use ## p_{j} = -i \hbar \partial_{j}## as you have already done.

I understand that it works, the problem comes from a chapter titled "Lie Groups and Lie Algebras", so I assumed it was something more fundamental. Thank you.

Related to Verify the commutation relations for x and p by definition.

1. What are commutation relations?

Commutation relations are mathematical expressions that describe how two operators, such as position (x) and momentum (p), interact with each other.

2. What is the definition of commutation relations?

The definition of commutation relations states that the order in which two operators are applied affects the final outcome, and this can be described mathematically using the commutator bracket [A,B] = AB - BA.

3. What is the commutation relation between position (x) and momentum (p)?

The commutation relation between x and p is [x,p] = xp - px = iħ, where i is the imaginary unit and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant.

4. How can the commutation relation for x and p be verified?

The commutation relation for x and p can be verified by using the definition and applying it to a specific wave function, such as the position wave function xψ(x) and the momentum wave function -iħ dψ(x)/dx. The resulting commutator should equal iħ.

5. Why is it important to verify the commutation relations for x and p?

Verifying the commutation relations for x and p is important because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and how different physical quantities, such as position and momentum, are related to each other. It also allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations in quantum mechanics.