Verifying the Decoder in RSA System: Solving for M

In summary, the conversation involves using the RSA system to decode a message. The values p = 5, q = 7, and E = 5 are chosen. It is verified that D = 5 is a decoder. The encoded message received is 17 and the goal is to find the actual (decoded) message. The method for decoding involves computing R as M^E mod N, and using D instead of E. It is important to also check that D is correct by verifying that ED = 1 (mod totient function).
ribbon

Homework Statement

"You are to receive a message using the RSA system. You choose p = 5,
q = 7 and E = 5. Verify that D = 5 is a decoder. The encoded message
you receive is 17. What is the actual (decoded) message?"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

N= pq = 35, our E = 5 --> M^E is congruent to R (mod35) where R is the remainder.

The decoder (D=5) is being given to me, so this shouldn't be that hard, but how can I use it to help me find M, the sent message?

Physics news on Phys.org
ribbon said:
N= pq = 35, our E = 5 --> M^E is congruent to R (mod35) where R is the remainder.

The decoder (D=5) is being given to me, so this shouldn't be that hard, but how can I use it to help me find M, the sent message?
The coded message R was computed as M^E mod N. To decode, you use the same procedure but with D instead of E. Is your problem finding an efficient way to do the computation?

Likes 1 person
Also, even though D was given to you, you should still check that D is indeed what it is supposed to be.
I mean, to check if ED = 1 (mod the totient function).

Likes 1 person

Related to Verifying the Decoder in RSA System: Solving for M

1. What is RSA encryption and why is it important to verify the decoder for it?

RSA encryption is a widely used encryption algorithm for securing data and communications. It uses a public key and a private key to encrypt and decrypt messages, making it a crucial tool for protecting sensitive information. Verifying the decoder in RSA ensures that the encrypted data can be correctly decrypted and prevents unauthorized access to the information.

2. How do I verify the decoder in an RSA system?

The most common way to verify the decoder in an RSA system is by solving for the value of "M" in the equation C = M^e (mod n), where C is the ciphertext, e is the encryption key, and n is the product of two large prime numbers. If the decrypted message matches the original message, then the decoder is working correctly.

3. What is the role of the private key in verifying the decoder in RSA?

The private key is essential for verifying the decoder in RSA as it is used to decrypt the ciphertext and obtain the original message. Without the private key, the encrypted data cannot be decrypted, and the verification process cannot be completed.

4. Can the decoder in RSA be verified by anyone?

No, only the intended recipient with the correct private key can verify the decoder in RSA. This ensures that the encrypted data can only be accessed by authorized parties and prevents unauthorized decryption.

5. Are there any other methods for verifying the decoder in RSA?

Yes, there are alternative methods for verifying the decoder in RSA, such as using digital signatures or comparing the decrypted message to a known hash value. However, solving for M is the most widely used and accepted method for verifying the decoder in RSA.