Very Hard Integral (from int Coulomb) with -3/2 power + others

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the electric field at an arbitrary point in a system with evenly distributed charge on a sphere. The relevant equation is given and a method for solving it is discussed, including the use of u-substitution and the possibility of using partial fractions.
pr0me7heu2

Homework Statement

I am trying to directly calculate the electric field (using Coulomb) at some arbitrary point P(0,0,z). The charge is evenly distributed over the surface of a sphere (radius R, charge density σ). Here I use θ for the polar angle and p for the azimuthal angle.

I will leave out the messy details, but I know by symmetry only projection onto z-axis is relevant. I also determined the angle ψ (that between separation vector π and the z-axis) in terms of z,R,θ, and π.

Homework Equations

E(alongz) = (4∏ε0) ∫02∏0 [σR^2 sinθ (z - Rcosθ)] / (R^2 + z^2 - 2Rzcosθ)^(3/2) dθ dp

The Attempt at a Solution

∫dp → 2∏
removing 2∏R^2σ constants out from integrand

0 [(z - Rcosθ)sinθ] / (R^2 + z^2 - 2Rzcosθ)^(3/2) dθ

using u-substitution:
u = cosθ du= -sinθ dθ
θ = 0 → u = 1
θ = ∏ → u =-1

and reversing the limits of integration gives (ignoring constants out front):

-11 (z - Ru) / (R^2 + z^2 - 2Rzu)^(3/2) du​
(#1)

→according to solutions manual→ this works out to:

z^-2 [(z-R) / |z-R| - (-z-R) / |z+R|]​
(#2)

The manual says:
Integral can be done by partial fractions -- or look it up.

Does anyone have any idea how you would use partial fractions to go from (1) to (2)??

Last edited:
Likes Murali K and kamaljit
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how to use partial fractions here either, but how about a substitution t2 = R2+z2-2Rzu?

Likes kamaljit

1. What is a "Very Hard Integral"?

A "Very Hard Integral" is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the value of an integral, or the area under a curve, that is particularly challenging to solve. It may require advanced techniques or a combination of different methods to solve.

2. What does the -3/2 power in the integral represent?

The -3/2 power in the integral represents the exponent of the variable in the integrand (the expression being integrated). It indicates that the integrand is a function raised to the power of -3/2, which may make the integral more difficult to solve.

3. How does the Coulomb force play a role in this integral?

The Coulomb force plays a role in this integral because it is the physical phenomenon that the equation being integrated represents. The integral may be used to calculate the force between two charged particles, which follows the Coulomb's law.

4. Are there any techniques or tips for solving this integral?

There are several techniques that can be used to solve this integral, including substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It may also be helpful to review basic integration rules and techniques and to break the integral into smaller, more manageable parts.

5. Why is this integral considered "very hard"?

This integral is considered "very hard" because it involves several challenging components, such as the -3/2 power, the Coulomb force, and possibly other terms. It may also require advanced mathematical knowledge and skills to solve, making it a particularly difficult problem to tackle.