(Very) Short Question on Nuclear Reaction

In summary, the nuclear reaction X yields Y + Z occurs spontaneously and the question asks which relationship is true between the masses of the particles involved. After considering the energy and mass equations, it can be concluded that choice C, Mx < My + Mz, is the correct relationship. However, there is also a possibility that Mx > My + Mz due to a loss of free energy during the reaction. The exact relationship is not explicitly stated and may require further clarification.
bleedblue1234

Homework Statement

The nuclear reaction X yields Y + Z occurs spontaneously. If MX, MY, and MZ are the masses of the three particles, which of the following relationships is true?

A Mx - Mz < My
B Mx = Mz + My
C Mx < My + Mz
D Mx - My < Mz
E Mx > My + Mz

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe it is choice C because you know the nucleons mass must be greater than the nucleus because of E=mc^2 since they have more total energy... but A and D are equivelant mathematically...

Physics news on Phys.org
any help? need some clarification...

Alright, new perspective...

If it occurs spontaneously... there must be a loss of free energy right? So that must mean a loss of mass? Which means Mx > My + Mz?

this is antagonizing... any help?

Your reasoning is partially correct. The correct answer is actually B, Mx = Mz + My. This is because in a nuclear reaction, the total mass before and after the reaction must be conserved. This means that the sum of the masses of the reactants (X) must equal the sum of the masses of the products (Y + Z). Therefore, Mx = Mz + My. Choices A, C, and D are incorrect because they do not account for the conservation of mass. Choice E is incorrect because it suggests that the mass of the reactant (X) is greater than the total mass of the products (My + Mz), which is not possible in a nuclear reaction.

What is a nuclear reaction?

A nuclear reaction is a process in which the nucleus of an atom is changed, resulting in the release or absorption of energy. This can occur through the splitting of an atom (nuclear fission) or the combining of two smaller nuclei into a larger one (nuclear fusion).

What are the applications of nuclear reactions?

Nuclear reactions have a wide range of applications, including the generation of electricity in nuclear power plants, production of medical isotopes for imaging and treatment, and propulsion in nuclear submarines and spacecraft.

What are the safety concerns surrounding nuclear reactions?

Nuclear reactions can produce radioactive materials, which can be harmful to living organisms if not handled properly. Therefore, strict safety protocols and regulations are in place to prevent accidents and ensure the safe operation of nuclear facilities.

What is the difference between nuclear fission and fusion?

Nuclear fission involves the splitting of a heavy nucleus into two smaller nuclei, while nuclear fusion involves combining two smaller nuclei into a larger one. Fission is the process used in nuclear power plants, while fusion is the process that powers the sun and other stars.

How do scientists control nuclear reactions?

Scientists use various methods to control nuclear reactions, such as controlling the rate of fission through the use of control rods in a nuclear reactor. In fusion reactions, extremely high temperatures and pressures are required to initiate and sustain the reaction.