Correct statement regarding nuclear reactions

In summary, option A is wrong because the reaction can still occur but not spontaneously, option B is correct, option C is wrong because it should be binding energy per nucleon, and option D is wrong because it should be nuclear reaction instead of chemical reaction. The half life of a nucleus is determined by its mass and atomic number, which do not change in a chemical reaction. Therefore, a chemical reaction would not alter the half life.
songoku
Homework Statement
Which of the following statements is correct?
a. If the total mass of the product of a reaction is greater, this reaction is impossible
b. When a stationary nucleus decays to produce a daughter nucleus and a gamma photon, the products always move off in opposite direction
c. The greater the binding energy of a nucleus, the more stable it is
d. although the half life of a radioactive substance is unaffected by changes in pressure, we can still change the half - life by allowing the substance to react chemically to produce a new radioactive compound
Relevant Equations
Not sure
Option A is wrong because the reaction is still possible but just can not happen spontaneously?

Option B is correct

Option C is wrong because it should be binding energy per nucleon

Option D is wrong because it should be nuclear reaction instead of chemical reaction?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
"When a stationary nucleus decays to produce a daughter nucleus and a gamma photon, the products always move off in opposite direction"

Is it possible that those are the only products of the decay? (I really do not know... never studied this.)

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
"When a stationary nucleus decays to produce a daughter nucleus and a gamma photon, the products always move off in opposite direction"

Is it possible that those are the only products of the decay? (I really do not know... never studied this.)

Maybe in this question it is assumed only these two products are produced by the decay so they need to move in opposite direction so the momentum is conserved

songoku said:
Maybe in this question it is assumed only these two products are produced by the decay so they need to move in opposite direction so the momentum is conserved
Maybe.. or maybe you are supposed to realize there have to be other products, in which case...

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Maybe.. or maybe you are supposed to realize there have to be other products, in which case...
At first, I was sure that B is the correct answer. Are you saying that it is not correct?

songoku said:
At first, I was sure that B is the correct answer. Are you saying that it is not correct?
As I wrote, I am no expert on the topic, and was not aware of a decay mode that only has those two products. Since you seem unsure, I just Googled it. I now see there is a flavour of gamma decay that does just that, so I agree with option B.

Likes songoku
Thank you very much

By the way @haruspex, are my reasoning for option A and D correct?

songoku said:
By the way @haruspex, are my reasoning for option A and D correct?
The answers are correct, but your reasoning for D could be a bit more convincing.

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
The answers are correct, but your reasoning for D could be a bit more convincing.
Sorry but I do not know other more correct reasoning for option D

songoku said:
Sorry but I do not know other more correct reasoning for option D
Try to explain why a chemical reaction would not alter the half life. What determines the half life?

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Try to explain why a chemical reaction would not alter the half life. What determines the half life?
Sorry, I am not sure. I always think the value of half life is constant

songoku said:
Sorry, I am not sure. I always think the value of half life is constant
Sure, but what does it depend on? Why does one atom species have a different half life from another?

Likes songoku
I am sorry for late reply

Sorry I do not know. Maybe it depends on mass and atomic number of the nuclei?

Thanks

songoku said:
I am sorry for late reply

Sorry I do not know. Maybe it depends on mass and atomic number of the nuclei?

Thanks
Quite so. And do either of those change in a chemical reaction?

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Quite so. And do either of those change in a chemical reaction?
I get it. Thank you very much haruspex

1. What is a nuclear reaction?

A nuclear reaction is a process in which the nucleus of an atom undergoes a change, resulting in the formation of a different element or isotope. These reactions involve the breaking and forming of atomic bonds within the nucleus, and typically release large amounts of energy.

2. How are nuclear reactions different from chemical reactions?

Nuclear reactions involve changes in the nucleus of an atom, while chemical reactions involve changes in the electron configuration of an atom. Nuclear reactions also release much more energy than chemical reactions, as they involve much larger changes in the atomic structure.

3. What are the types of nuclear reactions?

The two main types of nuclear reactions are fusion and fission. Fusion is the process of combining two or more atomic nuclei to form a larger nucleus, while fission is the process of splitting a large nucleus into smaller nuclei.

4. What is the role of nuclear reactions in energy production?

Nuclear reactions are used in nuclear power plants to produce electricity. In these plants, nuclear fission reactions are initiated in a controlled manner, and the resulting heat is used to generate steam, which then drives turbines to produce electricity.

5. How do nuclear reactions impact the environment and human health?

Nuclear reactions can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment and human health. While they produce large amounts of energy, they also create radioactive waste that must be carefully managed to prevent harm to living organisms. Accidents and disasters at nuclear power plants can also have significant negative impacts on the environment and human health.