Vibrating Nuclei_potential energy

In summary, the homework statement is to calculate the expectation value of the kinetic energy for the ground state of a pair of vibrating nuclei. The attempt at a solution is to find the kinetic energy by integrating a wavefunction over -infinite to infinite. The final step is to use the formal definition of the psi operator and realize that the star refers to the complex conjugate.
terp.asessed

Homework Statement

Calculate <K>, the expectation value of the kinetic energy for the ground state of a pair of vibrating nuclei (assume internuclear distance--hence -infinite to +infinite)

Homework Equations

K = -h2/2(mu) d2/dx2

where (mu) = reduced mass; m1m2/(m1+m2)
and
wave(x) = (a/pi)1/4 e(-ax2/2)
where a = (mu) (omega)/h

(Assume h = Planck's constant with dash)

The Attempt at a Solution

<K> = integral (x = -infinite to infinite) wave2(x) K(x) dx
= integral (a/pi)1/2 e(-ax2) -h2/2(mu) d2/dx2 dx
= -ah2/(2pi(mu)) integral e(-ax2) -h2/2(mu) d2/dx2 dx
= -a5/4h2/(2pi5/4(mu)) integral {-ae-3ax2/2 + a2x2e(-3ax2/2)}dx
...beyond, I don't know how to simplify the integral--have I done something wrong in the midway? I don't know how to integrate anymore. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll notice that the operator K does not make sense without some function in front of it. $$\langle K \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \psi^\star(x)\hat K \psi(x)\; dx$$... would be more usual.

That's what I did--wave(x) is a psi (x)...
So, that's why I did psi2(x) which is wave2(x), and I still have trouble getting to the solution...

Plus, what's with asterisk on one psi? Could you pls explain? Thanks!

Last edited:
Asterisk = complex conjugate

And ##{d\over dx}e^{-ax^2}## is not something with ##e^{-2ax^2}## !

Last edited:
Likes terp.asessed
Is there a way to solve integral {-ae-3ax2/2 + a2x2e(-3ax2/2)}dx?
(where integral is from x = -infinite to + infinite)​

It looks suspiciously identical to the Schroedinger equation for the harmonic oscillator, only (if you do it right) a factor 1/2 different...

Could you please explain what you mean by:

BvU said:
a factor 1/2 different...

work out ##\left ({a\over \pi}\right )^{1\over 2}\;\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\;\left (e^{-ax^2/2}\right )\; \left (-{h^2\over 2\mu}{d^2\over dx^2}\right ) e^{-ax^2/2}\ dx \ ## first and see what you get.

Likes terp.asessed
That's what I did--wave(x) is a psi (x)...
I got that, it's the next bit I wanted to direct you attention to.
BvU is doing a decent job so I'll just reinforce and sit back for a bit:

So, that's why I did psi2(x) which is wave2(x),...
Which is not correct.
The ##\hat K## operator has a second derivative in it - that means the ##\psi## to the right of it gets altered.
You should have some course notes about how to apply operators to wavefunctions.
$$\hat K \psi(x) = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2\mu}\left(\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\psi\right)$$

Plus, what's with asterisk on one psi? Could you pls explain?
The star refers to the complex conjugate.
If ##\psi = a+ib## then ##\psi^\star = a-ib## (a,b both real and i2=-1)
In your case, ##\psi## is real - but what I wrote is the formal definition and it's a step you missed out and it is important to your thinking.

Aside: you are also reaching the stage where you will need to learn to use LaTeX ;)

What is potential energy in vibrating nuclei?

Potential energy in vibrating nuclei is the energy stored within the nucleus of an atom due to the forces between the protons and neutrons. This energy can be released through nuclear reactions or decay.

How does the potential energy of vibrating nuclei affect nuclear stability?

The potential energy of vibrating nuclei is directly related to the stability of the nucleus. As the potential energy increases, the nucleus becomes less stable and can potentially undergo nuclear reactions or decay to lower its energy.

What factors affect the potential energy of vibrating nuclei?

The potential energy of vibrating nuclei is affected by the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, the strength of the nuclear forces, and the distance between the particles within the nucleus.

How does potential energy change as the nucleus vibrates?

Potential energy increases as the nucleus vibrates, reaching a maximum at the point of highest vibration and decreasing as the nucleus returns to its original state. This energy change is due to the changing distance between the particles within the nucleus and the resulting changes in the strength of the nuclear forces.

What is the relationship between potential energy and nuclear reactions?

Potential energy in vibrating nuclei can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, through nuclear reactions. These reactions release the stored potential energy and can result in the formation of new nuclei or the release of particles and radiation.