Vibration of Rigid Body with One Spring: Understanding Torque Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rigid body with one spring and the torque equation needed to solve it. The questioner is confused about the inclusion of the weight of the bar and cube in the torque equation, but it is explained that they cancel out due to the equilibrium position. The final equation for torque is given as M = I*a - k*0.4sin(theta)*0.4cos(theta).
Alex Santos

Homework Statement

Rigid body with one spring.

Homework Equations

Torque equations ( M=I * "alpha")

The Attempt at a Solution

So I think I can solve this problem but there is only one thing I do not understand.

When I am writing my torque equation I would think that the weight of the bar and the cube would affect the torque
M = I * a + Mb * g *0.4 cos (theta) + Mw * g * 0.4 cos (theta) - k*0.4sin(theta) *0.4 cos(theta)
but apparently the equation should be
M = I*a -k*0.4sin(theta)*0.4cos(theta)

why does the mg of both the objects not affect the torque, whenever I try to include them the differential equation becomes unsolveable

Attachments

• 15c8.png
    15c8.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 442
Physics news on Phys.org
From the equilibrium position, your forces would be along the lines of kδ=mgcosθ (component of the weight)

So that when the mass is displaced again by some distance x, the spring force becomes k(x+δ). And the weight cancels out.

Alright thanks for the answer. Think I understand this now :)

1. What is the definition of torque in the context of a vibrating rigid body with one spring?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In the context of a vibrating rigid body with one spring, torque is the force generated by the spring that causes the body to rotate around its equilibrium position.

2. How is the torque equation derived for a vibrating rigid body with one spring?

The torque equation is derived by considering the forces acting on the body and applying Newton's second law of motion. The equation takes into account the mass of the body, the angular acceleration, and the distance between the axis of rotation and the point where the spring is attached.

3. What factors affect the amount of torque generated by a spring in a vibrating rigid body?

The amount of torque generated by a spring in a vibrating rigid body depends on several factors, including the stiffness of the spring, the amplitude and frequency of the vibration, and the distance between the axis of rotation and the point where the spring is attached. The mass of the body also plays a role in determining the torque.

4. How does torque affect the vibration of a rigid body with one spring?

Torque plays a crucial role in the vibration of a rigid body with one spring. It is responsible for the rotation of the body around its equilibrium position and determines the amplitude and frequency of the vibration. The higher the torque, the more significant the rotation and the more intense the vibration.

5. Can torque be negative in the context of a vibrating rigid body with one spring?

Yes, torque can be negative in this context. A negative torque indicates that the spring is generating a force in the opposite direction of the rotation, which can result in a decrease in the amplitude or frequency of the vibration. It is essential to consider both positive and negative torque values when analyzing the behavior of a vibrating rigid body with one spring.