Mechanical Vibrations - 2 DOF System - Rod with 2 springs

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of deriving equations of motion for a 2-DOF vibration problem. The participants mention using force methods and the Lagrangian method to obtain the equations. The Lagrangian function is defined and the Euler-Lagrange equations are used to derive the equations of motion. The importance of considering the masses and their positions on the bar is emphasized. The conversation concludes with a recommendation to use the Lagrangian method and clarifies the difference in matrices for different systems.
Master1022
Homework Statement
Derive equations of motion in terms of the displacements [itex] x_1 [/itex] and [itex] x_2 [/itex]
Relevant Equations
F = ma
Hi,

So the question is to: derive the equations of motion for the following in terms of x1 and x2? The bar is assumed to be light and rigid.

(NB.
I know I posted another vibrations problem earlier in which I tried to use an energy approach to get to the equations of motion. However, we haven't been taught these, so I believe we are expected to reach these solutions by using force methods)
Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 3.02.23 PM.png

I am just wondering whether there is a general method when approaching these 2-DOF vibration problems? (e.g. introduce another variable for equations, specific places to take moments about, etc). I was wondering whether my method seems correct?

1) Resolve vertically downwards
I have decided to define an angle [itex] \theta [/itex] in the CCW direction from the point where the 2m mass is so that [itex] \theta = \frac{x_1 - x_2}{3L} [/itex]

Also, I have identified that the COM is L away from the 2m mass. I have also made small angle approximations for the angles.

Therefore, we get the following when we resolve vertically downwards and get:
[tex] -k x_2 - k \left( x_2 + 2L \theta \right) = m \left( \ddot x_2 + L \ddot \theta \right) [/tex]
rearranging and substituting in for [itex] \ddot \theta [/itex] leads to:
[tex] m \ddot x_1 + 2m \ddot x_2 + 2k x_1 + 4k x_2 = 0 [/tex]

2) Take moments about the centre of mass CCW direction
Because the bar is assumed to be rigid, I thought that the angle [itex] \theta [/itex] will be the same at the COM as it is at the right side

Taking moments, I get:
[tex] k x_2 L - 2mgL + mg(2L) - k \theta L^2 = I \ddot \theta [/tex]
noting that: [itex] I = m(2L)^2 + 2m(L)^2 = 6mL^2 [/itex] and rearranging we get:
[tex] 6m \ddot x_1- 6m \ddot x_2 + 4k x_1 - 4k x_2 = 0 [/tex]

Combining these into matrix form, we get:
[tex] \begin{bmatrix} m & 2m \\ 6m & -6m \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} \ddot x_1 \\ \ddot x_2 \end{bmatrix} +
\begin{bmatrix} 2k & 4k \\ 4k & -4k \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \end{bmatrix} = 0 [/tex]

Does this equation look correct?

A final question on this: if I was to go on from here to find the natural frequencies/ etc., I would presume that it is okay to leave the matrices in their current form? I only ask that as the few examples I have seen in lectures only have 'M' matrices which are diagonal, but I presume that is reflective of the respective situation rather than a mathematical reason?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I would approach this problem by first understanding the physical system and its components. In this case, we have a bar with two masses attached to it, and we want to derive the equations of motion for the system.

One approach that can be used to solve these types of problems is the Lagrangian method. This method involves defining a Lagrangian function, which is the difference between the kinetic and potential energies of the system. From this Lagrangian function, we can derive the equations of motion using the Euler-Lagrange equations.

In this case, the Lagrangian function would be:
L = T - U = \frac{1}{2}m(\dot{x_1}^2 + \dot{x_2}^2) + \frac{1}{2}k(x_1^2 + x_2^2) - mgh

Where T is the kinetic energy, U is the potential energy, m is the mass, k is the spring constant, and h is the height of the bar.

Using the Euler-Lagrange equations, we can obtain the following equations of motion:
m\ddot{x_1} + kx_1 = 0
2m\ddot{x_2} + kx_2 = 0

These equations are similar to the ones you have derived, but they take into account the masses and their positions on the bar. As for finding the natural frequencies, you can use these equations to obtain the characteristic equation and solve for the natural frequencies.

As for your method, it seems to be correct, but I would recommend using the Lagrangian method as it is a more generalized approach and can be applied to various systems. Also, as you mentioned, the diagonal matrices in lectures are reflective of the specific situation, but in this case, we have a 2-DOF system, so the matrices will not be diagonal.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

What is a 2 DOF system in mechanical vibrations?

A 2 DOF (degree of freedom) system in mechanical vibrations refers to a system with two independent variables that describe its motion. In the case of a rod with 2 springs, the two variables are the displacement of the rod and the displacement of the two springs. This system can be used to model the vibrations of a variety of mechanical systems, such as bridges, buildings, and machines.

How do the two springs affect the vibrations of the rod?

The two springs in a 2 DOF system act as forces that resist the motion of the rod. As the rod vibrates, the springs will stretch and compress, causing the rod to oscillate. The stiffness of the springs and their placement on the rod will determine the frequency and amplitude of the vibrations.

What is the equation of motion for a 2 DOF system with a rod and 2 springs?

The equation of motion for a 2 DOF system with a rod and 2 springs is a second-order differential equation. It takes into account the forces acting on the rod, including the spring forces and any external forces, and describes how the rod will move over time. This equation can be solved to determine the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the rod at any given time.

How do you analyze the vibrations of a 2 DOF system with a rod and 2 springs?

To analyze the vibrations of a 2 DOF system with a rod and 2 springs, you can use techniques such as free vibration analysis, forced vibration analysis, and modal analysis. These methods involve solving the equation of motion and using mathematical tools to determine the natural frequencies, mode shapes, and response of the system to different inputs.

What are the practical applications of a 2 DOF system with a rod and 2 springs?

A 2 DOF system with a rod and 2 springs has many practical applications in engineering and science. It can be used to model and analyze the vibrations of structures and machines, such as bridges, buildings, and vehicles. It can also be used to study the behavior of materials and to design systems with specific vibration characteristics.