Video card in my workstation only shows background on fire TV

In summary, I just got my first fire TV and in HDMI1 mode (show computer video) it only shows the background of what shows on the monitor. My previous TV with a firestick showed everything although I never did get the sound to work through the HDMI cable. Multiple display under the 'Display settings': should be 'extend' or 'duplicate'Also check 'Advanced display settings': 'Remove display from desktop' should be off
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Just got a new fire TV and in HDMI1 mode (show computer video) it only shows the background of the monitor
I just got my first fire TV and in HDMI1 mode (show computer video) it only shows the background of what shows on the monitor. My previous TV with a firestick showed everything although I never did get the sound to work through the HDMI cable.

In the NVIDIA control panel, it shows the fire tv hooked to the HDMI output of the graphics card (a Geoforce GTX 1050Ti) AND I can change the orientation of the image on the TV (without changing what's on the monitor) and the brightness / contrast / etc.

What I CAN'T get it to show on the tv is anything other than the background including the task bar at the bottom but none of the desktop icons and none of app windows. When I put the mouse pointer inside the task bar, that shows up on the monitor but not on the TV.

The video card has outputs for VGA, DVI, and HDMI and my ASUS monitor, on which everything shows up, is using the DVI output.

Anyone have any idea what I'm missing?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Paul

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Check 'Multiple display' under the 'Display settings': should be 'extend' or 'duplicate'
Also check 'Advanced display settings': 'Remove display from desktop' should be off

Likes phinds
Thanks for the answer.

I don't see either of those (extend/duplicate, and "advanced display settings"). I have multiple displays selected, else I could not have had anything show up on the fire TV.

phinds said:
What I CAN'T get it to show on the tv is anything other than the background including the task bar at the bottom but none of the desktop icons and none of app windows. When I put the mouse pointer inside the task bar, that shows up on the monitor but not on the TV.
In that case that the TV is showing an Extended Desktop. It is not showing any icons or windows because you have not moved them to the extended desktop.

You need to work out which direction the desktop has been extended in. You can do this by trial and error - move the mouse off the edge of your main monitor to the right and left and maybe up and down, off the diagonals and see if it appears on the TV. Alternatively hit the start key or icon and type "duplicate display". It will then show a window similar to this so you can move things around (you can see I have my second monitor on the left), or if you find this too confusing change "Extend these displays" to "Duplicate these displays".

1659035937828.png

Likes berkeman, phinds, russ_watters and 1 other person
I also use two monitors. My favorite trick is:
  • Shift + Windows Key + Left/Right Arrows - Move the window to the monitor on the left or right.
So click on your PF window, then use Shift+Windows and see if it then appears on the other monitor screen.

Beware that if you shut off the second monitor while it is displaying some windows, they may still be active but you will be unable to access them.

Likes berkeman, phinds and russ_watters
Ah HA ! I was only accessing the functions available in the NVDIA control panel. Now that you've pointed out the WINDOWS functions, it all works.

Thanks, guys.

• Love
Likes anorlunda and berkeman

1. Why is my video card only showing the background on my fire TV?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One possibility is that the video card is not properly connected to the fire TV, so it is not receiving a signal. Another possibility is that the video card drivers are outdated or corrupted, causing it to not display the video properly. It could also be an issue with the HDMI cable or the TV itself.

2. How can I fix the video card issue on my fire TV?

First, make sure that the video card is properly connected to the fire TV. If that does not resolve the issue, try updating the video card drivers. You can do this by going to the manufacturer's website and downloading the latest drivers for your specific video card model. If the issue persists, try using a different HDMI cable or connecting the fire TV to a different TV to rule out any potential hardware problems.

3. Can a faulty video card cause the background on my fire TV to show as distorted or pixelated?

Yes, a faulty video card can cause various display issues, including distorted or pixelated backgrounds. If you are experiencing these types of issues, it is recommended to check the video card connections, update the drivers, and if the problem persists, consider replacing the video card.

4. What are some other possible reasons for the video card only showing the background on my fire TV?

Apart from hardware or driver issues, the problem could also be related to the settings on your fire TV. For example, if the resolution settings on the fire TV are not compatible with the video card, it could result in the background being the only thing displayed. Another possible reason could be that the video card is not powerful enough to handle the graphics on the fire TV.

5. Can I upgrade the video card on my fire TV to improve its performance?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to upgrade the video card on a fire TV as it is a compact and closed system. However, you can consider using an external graphics processing unit (eGPU) to enhance the performance of your fire TV. eGPUs connect to your device via USB or Thunderbolt and provide an additional graphics card for improved graphics processing.