Video talk on Planck results by Kendrick Smith

In summary: But the basic idea is that the Planck team has a lot of data to sift through, and much of it has conflicts with other parts. This is a normal part of the scientific process, and they'll be studying each of these conflicts in great detail in an effort to figure out which ones are real and which ones are fake.In summary, Kendrick Smith gave a fast and well-organized 70 minute talk discussing the cosmological results from Planck, a third-generation satellite mission to measure the cosmic microwave background. These results have improved constraints on all cosmological parameters and have implications for existing tensions with the standard cosmological model, while also raising new puzzles. Smith, a coauthor of both WMAP and Planck cosmology reports
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://pirsa.org/13040123/
Results and highlights from Planck
Speaker(s): Kendrick Smith
Abstract: Cosmological results from Planck, a third-generation satellite mission to measure the cosmic microwave background, have just been announced. These results improve constraints on essentially all cosmological parameters, and have implications for several preexisting sources of tension with the standard cosmological model, while also raising new puzzles. I will discuss these results and their significance, as well as the next steps forward.
Date: 16/04/2013 - 11:00 am
=====================

Fast well-organized 70 minute PIRSA talk, packed with goodies. Kendrick Smith has joint appointment at Princeton and at Perimeter. Coauthor of both WMAP and Planck cosmology reports and also coauthor with such as Wayne Hu and David Spergel. Seems mathematically talented in inventing new statistical tools.

He gives an overview of the cosmology picture coming out of Planck plus a handful of special areas of analysis which seem especially interesting (and involve his own development of analytical methods) Includes his own hunches and opinions about results in future, which I found interesting.

Here are his papers:
http://inspirehep.net/search?p=exactauthor:K.M.Smith.1+

Space news on Phys.org
marcus said:
http://pirsa.org/13040123/
Results and highlights from Planck
Speaker(s): Kendrick Smith
Abstract: Cosmological results from Planck, a third-generation satellite mission to measure the cosmic microwave background, have just been announced. These results improve constraints on essentially all cosmological parameters, and have implications for several preexisting sources of tension with the standard cosmological model, while also raising new puzzles. I will discuss these results and their significance, as well as the next steps forward.
Date: 16/04/2013 - 11:00 am
=====================

Fast well-organized 70 minute PIRSA talk, packed with goodies. Kendrick Smith has joint appointment at Princeton and at Perimeter. Coauthor of both WMAP and Planck cosmology reports and also coauthor with such as Wayne Hu and David Spergel. Seems mathematically talented in inventing new statistical tools.

He gives an overview of the cosmology picture coming out of Planck plus a handful of special areas of analysis which seem especially interesting (and involve his own development of analytical methods) Includes his own hunches and opinions about results in future, which I found interesting.

Here are his papers:
http://inspirehep.net/search?p=exactauthor:K.M.Smith.1+

Another great PIRSA video to add to my watch list; when Ill get the chance i have no idea.
In the mean time, did he mention how high the sigma is of these anomalies? I understood them to be around 3 sigma, not enough for a discovery in particle physics. but yet the guys at Planck were pretty certain this is real. Is it because WMAP saw the same anomalies or...?
Does he think these could be signs of new physics or are they also entertaining some sort of systemic observation effect, are there any concrete proposals?

Phil, he made many reference to various findings being 2 sigma, others being 2.5 sigma, and others 3 sigma. I couldn't take it all in and keep it properly sorted out, so I'll have to watch the talk again.

1. What are the key findings of Kendrick Smith's video talk on Planck results?

Kendrick Smith's video talk on Planck results discusses the latest findings from the Planck satellite, including the precise measurement of the age, composition, and expansion of the universe. Other key findings include the confirmation of the inflation theory, the discovery of new structures in the cosmic microwave background, and the mapping of dark matter and dark energy in the universe.

2. How does the Planck satellite collect data?

The Planck satellite measures the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the oldest light in the universe. It does this by using highly sensitive detectors and scanning the entire sky to create a detailed map of this radiation. This data is then analyzed and used to make scientific conclusions about the universe.

3. What is the significance of the confirmation of the inflation theory by the Planck results?

The confirmation of the inflation theory by the Planck results is a major breakthrough in our understanding of the universe. This theory explains how the universe expanded rapidly in the first fraction of a second after the Big Bang, and the Planck results provide strong evidence for its accuracy. This confirmation helps us to better understand the origins and evolution of the universe.

4. How do the Planck results impact our understanding of dark matter and dark energy?

The Planck results have provided us with a more precise measurement of the amount of dark matter and dark energy in the universe. This has allowed scientists to better understand the role these mysterious substances play in the expansion and structure of the universe. The results also suggest that dark energy may be even more mysterious than previously thought.

5. What are the potential future implications of the Planck results?

The Planck results have opened up new avenues for research and have the potential to greatly advance our understanding of the universe. They can help us to refine our current theories and potentially lead to new discoveries that will revolutionize our understanding of the origins and evolution of the universe. The data collected by the Planck satellite will continue to be studied by scientists for years to come, leading to further insights and advancements in the field of cosmology.