View Saturn Through a Telescope: A Noob's Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses finding Saturn in a telescope and suggestions for locating it based on the user's location and time of day. Recommendations are made for using computerized star charts or apps to make the search easier. A specific website is also mentioned as a useful resource for locating Saturn.
Eats Dirt
hi I am an astronomy nooby and i am trying to find saturn in my telescope, i don't know what seasons it is visible in, can someone help :D?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Where are you located? If you are in the US, looking SW, Saturn is about 25° to the right of the Moon, around local midnight.

Janus said:
Where are you located? If you are in the US, looking SW, Saturn is about 25° to the right of the Moon, around local midnight.

Oh hi sorry i am in southern ontario :P ill look for it thank you!

If you have a smart phone, download Google Skymap or something similar. It is VERY easy to use and makes finding things a breeze.

If you go outside at about 11 PM tonight and look to the Southwest, you should see a bright Orange star, Arcturus. Directly below it are two fainter stars about halfway between Arcturus and the horizon. They should also be an orangeish color. The star on the right is actually Saturn while the one on the left is Spica. Saturn is getting lower and lower and by summers end will not be visible anymore.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/123758314.html

This site is pretty useful. They are showing a map tonight that locates Saturn.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How can I view Saturn through a telescope?

To view Saturn through a telescope, you will need a telescope with a minimum aperture of 2.4 inches. Point the telescope towards the southern sky, and adjust the focus to get a clear image of Saturn.

2. What is the best time to view Saturn through a telescope?

The best time to view Saturn through a telescope is during its opposition, which occurs once every 378 days. This is when Saturn is closest to Earth and appears brightest in the night sky.

3. What magnification is best for viewing Saturn through a telescope?

The recommended magnification for viewing Saturn through a telescope is between 50x to 150x. Higher magnifications may result in a blurry or distorted image.

4. Can I see Saturn's rings through a telescope?

Yes, Saturn's rings are one of the most prominent features that can be seen through a telescope. With the right conditions, you may also be able to see the division between the rings, known as the Cassini Division.

5. Do I need any special equipment to view Saturn through a telescope?

In addition to a telescope, it is recommended to use a Barlow lens to increase the magnification, and a moon filter to reduce the brightness of Saturn. You may also want to use a star chart or astronomy app to help locate Saturn in the night sky.