Vintage EEG Gain compared to modern voltmeter

In summary: Brainmaster with a laptop. The gain is 20,000 and it has a sampling rate of 8bit. It also has a 40Hz cutoff.
Awwtumn
brainmaster front.jpg

brainmaster back.jpg
circuit.jpg
spcs compare.jpg

I got from my drawer last night a vintage Brainmaster 2E I bought late 1990s that I used only a few times during that period. It has serial port at back. I don't know if it will work using a USB to serial port adapter connected to my laptop. Do you think it will work?

My question concerns the gain of the amplifier and the noise. It says above:

Notch Filtering: 40 Hz cutoff
Common Mode Rejection >100 dB
Gain 20,000
Sampling 8 Bit
Input Impedance 10 M ohms

How does it compare say to your voltmeter? What is the gain of a regular voltmeter? It has this chip.

chip.jpg

Familiar with it?

I just want to know how it compares to modern amplifier and whether it's worth taking the trouble to maybe buy an old pc to run it. Is it very ancient and maybe the gain of regular voltmeter is double it? Or still much less?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Brainwaves are not static in time. How do you propose to use Voltmeter?

Likes Vanadium 50 and dlgoff
Is this part of your EEG/Monopole Detector idea? If so, it's better to tell us what you're trying to do rather than dropping bits and pieces like breadcrubs.

Likes phinds
I love the name BrainMaster

Thread is locked temporarily so I can discuss some safety issues with the OP...

(if you aren't careful with the electrical isolation to EEG electrode pads that are connected to your scalp, bad things can happen; don't ask me how I know this...)

• Wow
Likes Wrichik Basu
After a PM discussion with the OP, he is not trying to use this for a medical application. Thread is reopened for now.

Vanadium 50 said:
Is this part of your EEG/Monopole Detector idea? If so, it's better to tell us what you're trying to do rather than dropping bits and pieces like breadcrubs.
@Awwtumn -- Can you address V50's question please? Thanks.

berkeman said:
(if you aren't careful with the electrical isolation to EEG electrode pads that are connected to your scalp, bad things can happen; don't ask me how I know this...)
Is this from personal experience or was there an unsuspecting victim?

vela said:
Is this from personal experience or was there an unsuspecting victim?
I told you not to ask me about this! :wink:

It was on myself -- I never would have tried what I did on another person, even with their permission.

Now back to our regularly-scheduled programming. Nothing to see here folks, move along...

• Haha
Likes anorlunda and phinds
Awwtumn said:
It has serial port at back. I don't know if it will work using a USB to serial port adapter connected to my laptop. Do you think it will work?
I think the serial interface can communicate with your modern computer if you buy the right adapter (I would be shocked if it wasn't RS-232). This is a pretty common problem and can be easily tested with a terminal app.

However, I doubt that the original SW will work, if you still have it. Lots of stuff written for Windows 3.1, Windows 95, etc. are toast now. IDK, maybe if you install a virtual machine? Writing your own code would require knowing what to say to this device, you'll need their SW interface docs, which I'm sure they never published (or even wrote).

berkeman said:
I told you not to ask me about this! :wink:

It was on myself -- I never would have tried what I did on another person, even with their permission.

Now back to our regularly-scheduled programming. Nothing to see here folks, move along...
So how many beers do we have to buy you to hear it? :-p

Sorry, not actually moving along, am I? Do I get some points for that transgression?

• Haha
Likes hutchphd and berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
I don't know how to explain it to you. But I'll try. You are giving me the choice of either not explaining everything and not getting replies or explaining it and possibly getting the thread locked. I'll take risk in explaining because maybe some of you can comprehend this.
To start. The Big Bang is complex. Although some want to make it simple by rigid Newtonian residual elemental thinking.

For example. Before symmetry breaking when the electroweak force was still one at high temperature (which we have duplicated at the particle accelerators). Does the force anticipate that at some point we would use laptop and internet using electrical and electromagnetic signal. Yes. Big Bang is smart and not just some random explosion of spacetime and matter.

Could Big Bang be all about temperature? Electroweak may use it. But for the missing monopoles problem. Big Bang could hide it in the hidden sector or dark matter. And it may not only be by high temperature that it existed, but by some other means.

Look. The universe shared with us the supernal life, hence we share with it the supernal power.

What I'm trying to do is to summon the monopoles from the dark sector by creating vacuum domain in my table. Or to give you direct idea, low temperature symmetry breaking. The ability to have consciousness may be a fundamental aspect of the universe, right there at the Big Bang, we can refer to it as fundamental. Some physicists believe it like for example in the debate whether consciousness can collapse wave function and countless others.

Heck. I just heard the above from a physicist. So just want to build monopole detector to duplicate the experiment and see if I could also detect the monopoles like he did. Most physicists don't believe in low temperature symmetry breaking of some kind, so totally ignore doing any experiment of that nature. What if consistent monopoles can be produced this way instead of that rare 1982 valentine monopole detected by the 8 loop superconducting detector (the space it is housed in may have temporary symmetry breaking as a result of residual leak from another location, that's why it got a 5 sigma monopole event.

Realize guys that the Big Bang is more complex than all the theories we have. Remember the James Webb telescope has revealed that galaxies are more like fully formed right after the Big Bang and didn't evolve from current model.

Also you will notice that Dark Matter dynamics is not consistent, some cosmic object having the behavior of dark matter, some more like modified gravity. This may be because of another dynamics at play such as a modified vacuum or conditioned space. What I mean is the universe is more complicated than you can possibly imagine.

I hope the above descriptions get you in the mood now for my particular project.

Come on. If I can't detect monopoles, then no problem. At least I tried. In high school physics lab, they have dynamos and electromagnetic. Trying them out is part of learning. So trying out a monopole detector is part of learning too.

Hutchphd. Are there no voltmeter that is like oscilloscope in which it can sample it many times a second? What is gain of a normal voltmeter? I just want to know if my Brainmaster 2E is already outdated in terms of amplifier gain and instead of buying old 486, i'll just get oscilloscope that is sensitive enough to track monopoles that has frequency components too. (Before this thread is locked again, please give me some technical info about this. Thank you).

• Haha
Likes weirdoguy
Awwtumn said:
To start. The Big Bang is complex. Although some want to make it simple by rigid Newtonian residual elemental thinking.
Awwtumn said:
Does the force anticipate that at some point we would use laptop and internet using electrical and electromagnetic signal. Yes. Big Bang is smart and not just some random explosion of spacetime and matter.
Awwtumn said:
Look. The universe shared with us the supernal life, hence we share with it the supernal power.
Awwtumn said:
What I'm trying to do is to summon the monopoles from the dark sector by creating vacuum domain in my table. Or to give you direct idea, low temperature symmetry breaking. The ability to have consciousness may be a fundamental aspect of the universe, right there at the Big Bang, we can refer to it as fundamental. Some physicists believe it like for example in the debate whether consciousness can collapse wave function and countless others.
Awwtumn said:
I hope the above descriptions get you in the mood now for my particular project.
Nope. Vaya con Dios; Hasta la Vista.

Likes anorlunda and DaveE

1. What is the difference between vintage EEG gain and modern voltmeter?

Vintage EEG gain refers to the amplification factor used to increase the signal strength of an EEG recording. Modern voltmeters, on the other hand, are electronic devices used to measure the voltage of an electrical signal. They have a wider range and higher precision compared to vintage EEG gain.

2. Is vintage EEG gain still used in EEG recordings?

No, vintage EEG gain is no longer commonly used in EEG recordings. It has been replaced by modern voltmeters which provide more accurate and reliable measurements.

3. How does vintage EEG gain affect the quality of EEG recordings?

Vintage EEG gain can introduce noise and distortions to the EEG signal, which can affect the quality of the recording. This can lead to inaccurate interpretations and diagnoses.

4. What are the advantages of using modern voltmeters over vintage EEG gain?

Modern voltmeters offer a wider range of measurement, higher precision, and better noise reduction compared to vintage EEG gain. They also have more advanced features such as digital displays and data storage capabilities.

5. Are there any situations where vintage EEG gain may still be used?

In some cases, vintage EEG gain may still be used for research purposes or in settings where modern voltmeters are not available. However, it is not recommended for clinical use due to its limitations and potential for inaccurate recordings.

Back