Violate current conservation in Perfect Magnetic Conductor (PMC)

In summary, the conversation discusses the violation of current conservation in a Prefect Magnetic Conductor (PMC). The speaker mentions being unable to prove that surface current can violate current conservation, and points out that this is not explained in textbooks. They also inquire about why electric currents should be zero and which parameter in PMC is infinite.
baby_1
Homework Statement
Why does having an electric current in Perfect Magnetic Conductor (PMC) violate current conservation?
Relevant Equations
Boundary conditions
Hello,
I need to know why having an electric current in Prefect Magnetic Conductor(PMC) violate current conservation. Based on the boundary conditions or lorentz force or ..., I couldn't be successful to prove that surface current can violate current conservation. In the textbooks, they mentioned the electric current should be zero but none of them explain it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What type of current conservation are you talking about? Are you saying that for some volume, ##I_{in} \neq I_{out}## ?

Likes Delta2
Thanks berkeman,
Regarding this web page, I am curious to know why the electric currents should be zero.
In addition, which parameter in PMC is infinite( for example for perfect electric conductor(PEC) the conductivity (sigma) is infinite).

1. What is a Perfect Magnetic Conductor (PMC)?

A Perfect Magnetic Conductor (PMC) is a theoretical material that has infinite conductivity for magnetic fields, meaning that it can perfectly reflect and absorb all magnetic fields without any loss of energy.

2. How does a PMC violate current conservation?

A PMC violates current conservation because it allows for the existence of surface currents that do not obey the usual laws of electromagnetism. These surface currents are created by the perfect reflection of magnetic fields at the PMC boundary, leading to a violation of the law of conservation of charge.

3. Can a PMC exist in the real world?

No, a PMC is a theoretical concept and cannot exist in the real world. It violates the laws of physics and is impossible to create using current technology.

4. What are the practical applications of studying PMC?

Studying PMC can help us better understand the behavior of electromagnetic fields and how they interact with materials. It also has potential applications in the development of new technologies, such as perfect magnetic shields and high-performance antennas.

5. How does PMC relate to other types of perfect conductors?

PMC is often compared to Perfect Electric Conductors (PECs), which have infinite conductivity for electric fields. While a PMC reflects all magnetic fields, a PEC reflects all electric fields. Together, these two theoretical materials form the basis for many electromagnetic studies and applications.