Violation of Special Relativity

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a searchlight rotating rapidly and the resulting movement of the light spot in the Earth reference frame. The question is whether this is a violation of special relativity. One person believes it is a violation (option 2), while another believes it is not (option 1). The conversation also discusses the possibility of using a laser instead of a searchlight.
Barry Melby

Homework Statement

Consider a searchlight on the ground that casts a spot on a cloud 1500 m overhead. If the searchlight is rotated rapidly−say, 40 ∘ in 1 μs−—how fast does the spot move in the Earth reference frame when the searchlight is directed vertically upward?

I have solved this part and found the velocity to by 3.5c.

Is this a violation of special relativity?
1. No, this is not a violation of the special relativity, light spot is not a physical object and can move with any speed.
2. Yes, this is a violation of the special relativity, the searchlight cannot really rotate this fast, data given in the problem statement is incorrect.
3. Yes, this is a violation of the special relativity, this situation should be studied using general relativity.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it is a violation, but I'm not sure exactly the reasoning behind it. My educated guess would be number 2 is the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, there isn't anything that is actually moving except the rotating search light. This canard is regularly debunked here on PF. No 1 is correct.

Barry Melby said:

Homework Statement

Consider a searchlight on the ground that casts a spot on a cloud 1500 m overhead. If the searchlight is rotated rapidly−say, 40 ∘ in 1 μs−—how fast does the spot move in the Earth reference frame when the searchlight is directed vertically upward?

I have solved this part and found the velocity to by 3.5c.

Is this a violation of special relativity?
1. No, this is not a violation of the special relativity, light spot is not a physical object and can move with any speed.
2. Yes, this is a violation of the special relativity, the searchlight cannot really rotate this fast, data given in the problem statement is incorrect.
3. Yes, this is a violation of the special relativity, this situation should be studied using general relativity.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it is a violation, but I'm not sure exactly the reasoning behind it. My educated guess would be number 2 is the correct answer.
Suppose you replaced the searchlight by a laser and the distance 1500m by the distance to the moon. You could rotate a real laser at a not-excessively fast rate entirely within practical bounds, and make the light-spot on the moon's surface move much faster than c. So, (2) is not really relevant, although it might be for a big, heavy searchlight---that's why I suggested a laser. That is, moving an actual searchlight through 40° in 1 μsec might be impractical, but you can easily wave a laser by hand with no trouble.

That leaves (1) or (3).

Last edited:
[post deleted]

EDIT: OOPS. I thought I was responding to the OP. Sorry Ray.

1. What is the theory of Special Relativity?

The theory of Special Relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905, is a fundamental theory of physics that describes the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the speed of light in a vacuum is constant for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

2. What is a violation of Special Relativity?

A violation of Special Relativity occurs when an event or phenomenon is observed that contradicts the principles of the theory. This could include anything that suggests the speed of light is not constant or that the laws of physics are different for different observers.

3. Can Special Relativity be violated?

No, according to current scientific understanding, Special Relativity is a well-established and highly accurate theory. It has been extensively tested and verified through numerous experiments and observations. Any apparent violations of Special Relativity can usually be explained by other factors such as experimental error, misinterpretation, or limitations of our current understanding.

4. What are some examples of violations of Special Relativity?

Some examples of apparent violations of Special Relativity include the faster-than-light neutrino anomaly in 2011, which was later attributed to a faulty measurement, and the observed superluminal speeds of jets emitted from some galaxies, which are actually due to a phenomenon called relativistic beaming.

5. What would happen if Special Relativity were violated?

If Special Relativity were truly violated, it would have major implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It would require a major revision of the theory and could potentially lead to a new understanding of space, time, and the fundamental forces of nature. However, as of now, there is no evidence to suggest that Special Relativity is not an accurate description of the physical world.