Virial expansion: Resolving these integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of resolving integrals related to equations (5) and (26) in the given text. The function ##K_2## is identified as a modified Bessel function, while ##\rho_s## is determined to be the scalar density of the gas. The conversation then moves on to discussing the solution for ##\rho_s##, which is found to be equal to ##\frac{g}{2\pi^2}m^2TK_1(m/T)##. This solution is verified and the source of the integral is identified.
Korbid
Hi! From this text: http://arxiv.org/pdf/nucl-th/0004061v1.pdf
I need to resolve these integrals.

1) Equation (5), [itex] \int e^{-\omega_1/T}d{\vec k}_1 =?[/itex] where [itex]\omega_1=\sqrt{m^2+{\vec k}^2_1}[/itex]
What function is [itex] K_2(m/T)[/itex]?
2) Equation (26), [itex]\rho_s(T)[/itex]

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, vanhees71!
But, how I can solve the integral of the scalar density. With Matlab, for example?

Is there anyone who can tell me the solution of [itex]\rho_s[/itex]? Please.

I think, it's not so easy to get this integral analytically. I'd evaluate it numerically, which is not big deal.

Well, i think the same thing...Thank you vanhees71!

Hi guys! I didn't give up!
Finally, I found the solution of [itex]\rho_s[/itex]

[itex]\rho_s=\frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int \frac{m}{\omega}e^{-\omega/T}d\vec{k}=\frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int \frac{m}{\sqrt{m^2+k^2}}e^{-\frac{\sqrt{m^2+k^2}}{T}}d\vec{k}=\frac{mg}{(2\pi)^3}\int^{\infty}_0 4\pi\frac{k^2}{\sqrt{m^2+k^2}}e^{-\frac{\sqrt{m^2+k^2}}{T}}dk=\frac{g}{2\pi^2}m^2TK_1(m/T)[/itex]

where [itex]\int^{\infty}_0 \frac{x^{2n}}{\sqrt{x^2+b^2}}e^{-a\sqrt{x^2+b^2}}dx=\frac{2^n}{\sqrt{\pi}}\Gamma(n+1/2)(b/a)K_1(ab)[/itex]

Wow, great! Where did you find this integral? I checked it numerically with Mathematica, and it's correct.

I see, the good old integral tables are not yet completely superfluous. :-)

Related to Virial expansion: Resolving these integrals

What is a virial expansion?

A virial expansion is a mathematical technique used in statistical mechanics to describe the behavior of a system of interacting particles. It involves expressing the properties of a system in terms of a series of integrals, known as virial coefficients.

What is the purpose of resolving these integrals?

The purpose of resolving these integrals in a virial expansion is to accurately describe the properties of a system at different temperatures and densities. By solving the integrals, we can determine the values of the virial coefficients and use them to predict the behavior of the system.

How is a virial expansion used in scientific research?

Virial expansions are commonly used in the study of gases, liquids, and solids. They allow scientists to model the behavior of these systems and make predictions about their properties. They are also used in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology to understand the behavior of large-scale systems.

What are the limitations of a virial expansion?

One limitation of a virial expansion is that it assumes that the particles in the system do not interact beyond pairwise interactions. This may not be accurate for systems with strong multi-particle interactions. Additionally, the accuracy of the expansion decreases as the density of the system increases.

How can we improve the accuracy of a virial expansion?

To improve the accuracy of a virial expansion, higher-order terms can be included in the series of integrals. This requires solving more complex equations, but can result in a more accurate description of the system. Additionally, alternative techniques, such as Monte Carlo simulations, can be used in conjunction with virial expansions to improve accuracy.