Virtual image on the perpendicular

In summary, the book "Real World Physics" states that a virtual image in a plane mirror is located on the perpendicular line from the object to the mirror, which is also known as the normal line. This means that the angle of incidence and reflection are equal with respect to the normal. However, the individual does not understand this concept and is seeking clarification. By drawing a line from the object to its reflection, it can be seen that the reflected image appears to be located directly across from the object in the mirror.
RabbitWho

Homework Statement

The book ("Real World Physics") says
A virtual image in a plane mirror is on the perpendicular from the object to the mirror

Homework Equations

I know that the normal line is perpendicular to the surface of the mirror
And I know that the angle of the incidence and reflection are the same degrees as each other with respect to the normal.. But I don't get what they mean by the sentence above
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_mirror#/media/File:Plane_mirror.png

Plane_mirror.png
[wikicommons image]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see any right angles in the image above and I can't visualise any when I look in the mirror. I doubled check to make sure that perpendicular always means at a right angle.. and it does... Can someone explain what is meant by this? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a line from A to A'. What angle does it make with the mirror?

Likes RabbitWho
So what it is saying is that something across from the mirror will look like it is across from the mirror in the reflection? Or am I misunderstanding?

1. What is a virtual image on the perpendicular?

A virtual image on the perpendicular is an image that is formed by the apparent intersection of light rays that appear to be coming from a point behind the mirror. This means that the image is not actually formed at that point, but it appears to be when viewed from a certain angle.

2. How is a virtual image on the perpendicular different from a real image?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a point, creating a physical image that can be projected onto a screen. A virtual image, on the other hand, is formed by the apparent intersection of light rays and cannot be projected onto a screen.

3. What types of mirrors can produce a virtual image on the perpendicular?

Convex mirrors and plane mirrors are the two types of mirrors that can produce a virtual image on the perpendicular. Concave mirrors, on the other hand, can only produce virtual images when the object is placed between the focal point and the mirror.

4. How is the size of a virtual image on the perpendicular determined?

The size of a virtual image on the perpendicular is determined by the distance between the object and the mirror, as well as the distance between the mirror and the observer. The farther the object is from the mirror, the smaller the virtual image will appear.

5. Can a virtual image on the perpendicular be magnified?

No, a virtual image on the perpendicular cannot be magnified. This is because the image is formed by the apparent intersection of light rays and does not actually exist in physical form. It can only appear larger or smaller based on the distance between the object, the mirror, and the observer.