Viscosity of liquid for falling sphere viscometer

In summary, the sphere falls through a liquid with a terminal velocity of 2.5 mm/s and has a mass of 4171 kg. The sphere has a density of 4171 kg/m^3. The shear viscosity of the liquid is calculated to be v = 2.5 mm/s.
Dennydont

Homework Statement

A falling sphere viscometer measures the viscosity of a liquid from the terminal velocity of a tiny, falling sphere. One such device determines that a tiny sphere of radius 46 μm falls through a liquid with a terminal velocity of 2.5 mm/s. If the density of the sphere is 4171 kg/m3 and the density of the liquid is 718 kg/m3 what is the shear viscosity of the liquid?
r sphere = 46 μm
ρ sphere = 4171 kg/m^3
ρ liquid = 718 kg/m^3
v = 2.5 mm/s

Homework Equations

F = 6πηrv
Continuity: ρAv

The Attempt at a Solution

Would I be able to find the Force by using the equation: F = ρAv2 which is just the continuity equation times velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dennydont said:

Homework Statement

A falling sphere viscometer measures the viscosity of a liquid from the terminal velocity of a tiny, falling sphere. One such device determines that a tiny sphere of radius 46 μm falls through a liquid with a terminal velocity of 2.5 mm/s. If the density of the sphere is 4171 kg/m3 and the density of the liquid is 718 kg/m3 what is the shear viscosity of the liquid?
r sphere = 46 μm
ρ sphere = 4171 kg/m^3
ρ liquid = 718 kg/m^3
v = 2.5 mm/s

Homework Equations

F = 6πηrv
Continuity: ρAv

The Attempt at a Solution

Would I be able to find the Force by using the equation: F = ρAv2 which is just the continuity equation times velocity?
No. Have you drawn a free body diagram of the sphere, and identified all the forces acting on the sphere? Based on this, have you written out the force balance equation on the sphere?

Chet

I haven't crunched the numbers but first, unless you are sure which drag term dominates (viscous or inertial), I would first start by evaluating the Reynolds number. My guess is that the viscous term is dominant and you can simply use Newton's second law with the force

Dennydont said:
F = 6πηrv

set equal to the sphere's weight (the buoyant force is probably negligible).

brainpushups said:
I haven't crunched the numbers but first, unless you are sure which drag term dominates (viscous or inertial), I would first start by evaluating the Reynolds number. My guess is that the viscous term is dominant and you can simply use Newton's second law with the force
It looks like he was instructed to use the creeping flow (viscous flow) equation. That is the equation he has listed under relevant equations.
set equal to the sphere's weight (the buoyant force is probably negligible).
The buoyant force is small but not negligible. Compare the densities in the problem formulation.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
The buoyant force is small but not negligible. Compare the densities in the problem formulation.

Yes I suppose that an order of magnitude difference is certainly not negligible for the buoyant force in this case.

Chestermiller said:
It looks like he was instructed to use the creeping flow (viscous flow) equation. That is the equation he has listed under relevant equations.

Chet
I used the buoyancy force equation F = ρgV where V is volume, g is gravity and ρ is the density of the sphere. Set it equal to F = 6πηrv and calculated the viscosity there. This is incorrect, and I realize now that I also need to work the density of the liquid into this equation some way. How would I go about doing this?

Dennydont said:
I used the buoyancy force equation F = ρgV where V is volume, g is gravity and ρ is the density of the sphere. Set it equal to F = 6πηrv and calculated the viscosity there. This is incorrect, and I realize now that I also need to work the density of the liquid into this equation some way. How would I go about doing this?
See post #2. Please list the forces acting on the sphere.

Chet

1. What is the purpose of measuring viscosity with a falling sphere viscometer?

The purpose of measuring viscosity with a falling sphere viscometer is to determine the resistance of a liquid to flow or its internal friction. This is important in various industries such as food, pharmaceuticals, and oil to ensure the quality and consistency of products.

2. How does a falling sphere viscometer work?

A falling sphere viscometer works by measuring the time it takes for a small sphere to fall through a liquid sample. The viscosity of the liquid is directly proportional to the time it takes for the sphere to fall through the liquid. The higher the viscosity, the longer the sphere takes to fall.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of viscosity measurements using a falling sphere viscometer?

The accuracy of viscosity measurements using a falling sphere viscometer can be affected by factors such as temperature, density of the sphere, and the shape and size of the sphere. It is important to carefully control these factors to ensure accurate results.

4. Can a falling sphere viscometer be used for all types of liquids?

No, a falling sphere viscometer is not suitable for all types of liquids. It is most commonly used for Newtonian fluids, which have a constant viscosity regardless of the shear rate. Non-Newtonian fluids, such as ketchup or toothpaste, require a different type of viscometer for accurate measurements.

5. Are there any limitations to using a falling sphere viscometer?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a falling sphere viscometer. It is not suitable for highly viscous liquids or liquids with particles or bubbles, as they can affect the sphere's falling speed and accuracy of the measurement. In addition, the size and shape of the container can also affect the results.