Viscosity of Water: Calculating Temperature-Dependent Flow

In summary, the person is asking for help finding the flow of water at a temperature of 350K and is having trouble finding an equation that accounts for the change in viscosity due to temperature. They have searched for equations online and in their book but have not been successful. Another person suggests searching for "viscosity water temperature" and the original person finds the information they need. However, they are confused about the units of measurement and someone else explains the conversion between kilograms per meter squared and pascals. They also mention that there are two different units for viscosity, dynamic and kinematic, and the person needs to use dynamic viscosity.
Bradracer18

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I need to find the flow of water at temperature of 350K. I had to do this, but for air in the same problem...but I can't find an equation to account for the viscosity change, due to temperature rise. My book lists it at 86.0 x 10^-5 Pa*s @ temp 300K.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've searched the web for some time now, and can't find any equations for water. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Brad

Physics news on Phys.org
Bradracer18 said:
I've searched the web for some time now, and can't find any equations for water.

Google for "viscosity water temperature".

Ok, so I found the page(thanks)...and the first link takes me right to what I need. But...the viscosity is dynamic(is that the same as just plain viscosity?)...and also, they have it measured in kg/m*s and I need it measured in Pa*s. Again, I've looked in my book and on the net, and I can't find out how you convert between those two.

The only conversion that I found(and I don't think it works)...but its 1kg(force)/m^2 = 9.806650 Pa.

Does anyone know about these conversions...?

1 Pascal (Pa) is 1 Newton/m^2

1 Newton (N) is the force to accelerate 1 Kg at 1 m/s^2

So 1 Pa.s = 1 N.s/m^2 = 1 (Kg.m/s^2).(s/m^2) = 1 Kg/(m.s)

BTW There are two different units for viscosity, dynamic and kinematic. Kinematic viscosity = dynamic viscosity / density. The one you want is dynamic viscosity.

Oh ok...so they are the same units then(or equivilant)...I guess I didn't put to much time into it, seems pretty obvious now, duh. ha. Well thanks though, I really appreciate you showing me the right direction!

Related to Viscosity of Water: Calculating Temperature-Dependent Flow

1. What is viscosity?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is the property that determines how easily a fluid can be stirred or moved.

2. How does temperature affect the viscosity of water?

As the temperature of water increases, its viscosity decreases. This means that warmer water is less resistant to flow and is easier to stir or move compared to colder water.

3. What is the formula for calculating the temperature-dependent flow of water?

The formula for calculating the temperature-dependent flow of water is known as the Arrhenius equation. It is: ln(η/T) = A - B/T, where η is the viscosity, T is the temperature in Kelvin, A and B are constants specific to water.

4. Why is it important to understand the viscosity of water?

Understanding the viscosity of water is important in many practical applications, such as in industrial processes, transportation of fluids, and in various scientific experiments. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of fluids in nature, such as in the movement of ocean currents.

5. How is the temperature-dependent flow of water measured?

The temperature-dependent flow of water can be measured using a viscometer, which is a device that measures the resistance of a fluid to flow. The viscometer typically consists of a graduated tube, a stopper, and a thermometer. The time it takes for a fluid to flow through the tube is measured and used to calculate the viscosity at a specific temperature.