Viscous Flow and Pressure Coefficient

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of a large positive dCp/dX on the real viscous flow in the context of an airfoil design project using thin airfoil theory and vortex panel method. The discussion includes considering the impact of viscosity on density and kinematic viscosity, as well as the difference between lift coefficients for viscid and inviscid flow. The question also seeks guidance on which property to focus on for further investigation.
snido727

Homework Statement

What effect does a large positive dCp/dX have on the real viscous flow? This is for an airfoil design project using thin airfoil theory + vortex panel method.

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I know Viscosity is independent of pressure, so the only thing I can think of is assuming ideal gas behavior and saying that it affects the density and therefore the kinematic viscosity. However I believe that he is referring to something different, some property of a viscous flow that I haven't yet figured out.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help me? I don't need the answer so much as a nudge in the right direction...ie "look at x property"

Thanks again

in which dimension is flow?

The design is in 2 dimensions.

Well for anyone else who stumbles upon this and needs the answer look at the difference between the lift coefficient vs. angle of attack graph for viscid vs. inviscid flow, and consider how the coefficient of pressure affects the lift coefficient.

Related to Viscous Flow and Pressure Coefficient

1. What is viscous flow?

Viscous flow is a type of fluid flow in which the fluid particles move in layers, or lamina, and experience frictional forces between each other.

2. How is viscous flow different from inviscid flow?

In viscous flow, there is a significant amount of internal friction and the fluid particles move at different velocities. In inviscid flow, there is no internal friction and the fluid particles move at the same velocity.

3. What is the significance of pressure coefficient in viscous flow?

The pressure coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the pressure at a certain point in a fluid to the free-stream pressure. In viscous flow, it is used to analyze the distribution of pressure and determine the forces acting on a body.

4. How is the pressure coefficient calculated?

The pressure coefficient is calculated by dividing the difference between the actual pressure and the free-stream pressure by the dynamic pressure of the flow. It is typically denoted as Cp and can range from -1 to 1, with values above 0 representing areas of low pressure and values below 0 representing areas of high pressure.

5. How does the pressure coefficient change in different types of viscous flow?

The pressure coefficient can vary greatly depending on the type of viscous flow. In laminar flow, the pressure coefficient tends to be smoother and have lower values compared to turbulent flow. In separated flow, the pressure coefficient can be significantly higher due to the formation of vortices and changes in the flow direction.