Visiting Canada from US: Birth Cert & Drivers Lic Enough?

• Thread starter Jelfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Canada
In summary, the conversation was about the necessary documentation needed for a trip to Canada. Some sources said a birth certificate and driver's license were enough, while others suggested a passport. It was confirmed that a birth certificate and driver's license would suffice, but a passport would make the process faster and easier. The traveler was planning to take an Amtrak train and was advised to check with the Canadian Embassy beforehand. It was also mentioned that the weather in Montreal is milder than the traveler's current location. Lastly, a jacket was recommended to be brought along for the trip.
Jelfish
I'm going to visit a friend in Montreal this weekend (my birthday!). I haven't been to Canada since I was younger than 16 years so I'm not entirely sure of what I need to bring, in terms of legal documentation.

I've looked at several websites and some say my birth certificate and drivers license is fine and some seem to imply that I need a passport.

It so happens that I have my birth certificate and drivers license on hand. For those of you who have traveled across the border recently - do you know if this is enough? I'll be staying about 4 days. I can ask my parents to rush me my passport if it's absolutely necessary though.

Physics news on Phys.org
uhhhhhhhhhhhhh......just a passport, duh.

Well, yeah. I know a passport would work. I'm asking if it's necessary.

Just do what you know will work so you don't get suck at the boarder.

Your birth certificate (with raised seal) plus a driver's license (assuming it has a photo on it) is enough, but a passport makes it a lot faster and easier if they check (they will check if you're flying; if you're driving, sometimes they just ask questions and don't bother checking ID, or just need to see your D.L.).

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/brochures/brochures_1229.html#c

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking I should just ask my parents to ship it anyway. It is my passport afterall. But say, hypothetically, I ask them to ship it and they forget. Would I be able to get through w/ just the birth certificate and driver's license?

Moonbear said:
Your birth certificate (with raised seal) plus a driver's license (assuming it has a photo on it) is enough, but a passport makes it a lot faster and easier if they check (they will check if you're flying; if you're driving, sometimes they just ask questions and don't bother checking ID, or just need to see your D.L.).

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/brochures/brochures_1229.html#c

Thanks Moonbear. I'm actually taking an Amtrak. And my license does have my photo on it. I'm hoping, though, that if there is a problem, I'll be told before I enter the train, since it's a non-stop train to Montreal (I think). I think I should be all right. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you can. JUST DO NOT LOOSE THEM!

CANADA _ Passport or proof of U.S. citizenship such as a birth certificate, naturalization certificate, and photo ID required. Minors (under 16) traveling alone or in someone else's custody must present written authorization, signed before a notary, from the parent(s) or guardian. Visas are not required. Canadian immigration officials at ports of entry will issue persons planning to stay longer than 180 days a visitor's record. Anyone with a criminal record (including a DWI charge) should contact the Canadian Embassy or nearest Consulate General before travel. U.S. citizens entering Canada from a third country must have a valid passport. HIV testing required for resident applicants who are over 15. A temporary resident applicant requires immigration medical examination if stay exceeds 6 months or seeking to work in Canada. For student or business travel, check with the Canadian Embassy, 501 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20001 (202/682-1740) or nearest Consulate General: CA (213/346-2701), MI (313/567-2085), NY (212/596-1700 or 716/858-9501), or WA

Ask the lady at the counter before the train gets under way. They might stamp your passport when the train gets to the boarder. In fact, they have to. Only a foreign country can stamp your passport. So it will have to be done in Canda/USA boarder.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Yes, you can. JUST DO NOT LOOSE THEM!

Ask the lady at the counter before the train gets under way. They might stamp your passport when the train gets to the boarder.

Um.. why does it have to be a lady? Men work behind counters too..

Just kidding. Thank you, Cyrus :!)

If you would rather talk to a man than a nice woman in a uniform be my guest. (even better, call them tomorrow, you don't want to find out when your already there and miss your train)

You're full of good ideas. Or does it just seem that way because you have Charlie Rose as an avatar..

It does have its advantages :)

I have went to the US (from Canada) a few times this year, and I only carried my Driver's License. I never had problems going into the US with only that.

On the way back into Canada, they sometimes don't even ask for anything. They let me drive right through.

Maybe it's because of the way I say "Eh!". It must be a dead giveaway.

JasonRox said:
I have went to the US (from Canada) a few times this year, and I only carried my Driver's License. I never had problems going into the US with only that.

On the way back into Canada, they sometimes don't even ask for anything. They let me drive right through.

Maybe it's because of the way I say "Eh!". It must be a dead giveaway.

I think if I tried ending a sentence in "eh", I'd say it wrong (with a Boston accent) and they'd intentionally hold me for questioning.

Good to know that I probably won't need to worry any more than I already have. Thanks

bring a jacket.

rocketboy said:
bring a jacket.

Yep, though I've been told that a lot of Montreal is underground and thus I should not expect to need the jacket all the time. And according to what I've been hearing, the weather is milder there than where I am currently (upstate NY). Still, I will indeed be bringing a jacket.

no passport required to get from Canada to US. heck, I don't even need a drivers liscence sometimes. "you Canadian?" "yup" "go ahead"

Related to Visiting Canada from US: Birth Cert & Drivers Lic Enough?

1. Is a birth certificate and driver's license enough to visit Canada from the US?

Yes, a birth certificate and driver's license are sufficient documents for US citizens to enter Canada for a short visit. However, it is recommended to also bring a passport if possible.

2. Do I need a visa to visit Canada from the US?

US citizens do not need a visa to visit Canada for tourism or business purposes for stays of up to 180 days.

3. Can I use an enhanced driver's license to enter Canada?

Yes, an enhanced driver's license issued by certain US states can be used as an alternative to a passport for entry into Canada. However, it is best to check with the specific state's DMV to ensure it is accepted by Canadian border officials.

4. Are there any other documents I should bring when visiting Canada from the US?

In addition to a birth certificate and driver's license, it is recommended to also bring a passport or an enhanced driver's license. It is also a good idea to have proof of health insurance and enough funds for your stay.

5. Is there a specific expiration date for my birth certificate and driver's license when visiting Canada from the US?

There is no specific expiration date required for a birth certificate and driver's license when visiting Canada from the US. However, it is recommended to have documents that are valid and up-to-date to avoid any issues at the border.