Visual Luminosity and flux of sun.

In summary, to calculate the visual luminosity and flux of the Sun, you can use the given values for the bolometric luminosity, bolometric correction, and radius. The visual luminosity can be found by multiplying the bolometric luminosity by 10 raised to the power of the bolometric correction. The flux emitted by the solar surface can be found by dividing the luminosity by 4π times the square of the radius.
~Sam~

Homework Statement

Some values for the Sun are, bolometric luminosity Lbol = 3.83 x 10^26 W, bolometric correction = –0.07, and radius = 6.96 x 105 km.

Calculate the visual luminosity, LV, of the Sun and the flux, FV, radiated into space by the solar surface.

Homework Equations

M1-M2=-2.5 log (F1/F2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have thought of several ways to do this..first way is to use bolometric luminosity and radius to calculate bolometric magnitude using formula M=-2.5 log (F). Since I know bolometric correction, I can find Mv, and then use the same formula to find visual flux, which in turn, find visual luminosity. Or could I just do it with M1-M2=-2.5 log (Luminosity1/Luminosity2). Actually...wait...couldn't i just use BC= M1-M2=-2.5 log (F1/F2)..Find the flux (F1) and from there get my luminosity?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A:It's actually very simple. You have the bolometric luminosity, and you have the bolometric correction. The visual luminosity is just the bolometric luminosity multiplied by 10 raised to the power of the bolometric correction. The flux emitted by the solar surface is just the luminosity divided by 4π times the square of the radius.

What is visual luminosity and flux of the sun?

Visual luminosity and flux of the sun refers to the amount of energy emitted by the sun in the form of light and heat. This energy is measured in units of luminosity and flux, which take into account the intensity and distance of the sun's radiation.

How is visual luminosity and flux of the sun measured?

Visual luminosity and flux of the sun is measured by scientists using specialized instruments such as telescopes and radiometers. These instruments can detect and measure the amount of radiation emitted by the sun and calculate its luminosity and flux.

What factors affect the visual luminosity and flux of the sun?

The visual luminosity and flux of the sun can be affected by several factors, including the sun's temperature, size, and distance from Earth. Changes in these factors can result in fluctuations in the amount of energy emitted by the sun.

How does visual luminosity and flux of the sun impact Earth?

The visual luminosity and flux of the sun play a crucial role in sustaining life on Earth. The light and heat emitted by the sun provide energy for photosynthesis, which is essential for the growth of plants and the production of oxygen. The sun's energy also helps regulate Earth's climate and weather patterns.

Can visual luminosity and flux of the sun be harmful?

While the sun's energy is essential for life on Earth, too much exposure can be harmful. The intense UV radiation emitted by the sun can cause sunburns and increase the risk of skin cancer. It is important to protect oneself from excessive sun exposure and use proper precautions when outside for extended periods.