Visualizing Arbitrary Coordinate System - Example Needed

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the accelerations of components in plane polars. The position vector is r\mathbf{e}_r(\theta) = r(\cos \theta, \sin \theta) and the accelerations of the components are \ddot r and zero. However, the general acceleration is \ddot{\mathbf{r}} = (\ddot r - r\dot \theta^2)\mathbf{e}_r + (2\dot r \dot \theta + r\ddot \theta)\mathbf{e}_\theta. The person is asking for an explanation of how the accelerations of the components are not necessarily equal to the components of the acceleration. They
BLevine1985
Hi I'm wondering if someone can illustrate with an example what I bracketed in blue? I'm having a hard time visualizing how it is that the accelerations of the components are NOT necessarily equal to the components of the acceleration...Much appreciated!
relative acceleration of geodesic in 3+ dimensions.png

Physics news on Phys.org
In plane polars, the position vector is [itex]r\mathbf{e}_r(\theta) = r(\cos \theta, \sin \theta)[/itex]. The accelerations of the components are therefore [itex]\ddot r[/itex] and zero. However, the acceleration is [tex]
\ddot{\mathbf{r}} = \ddot r\mathbf{e}_r + 2\dot r \dot \theta \mathbf{e}_\theta + r(-\dot \theta^2 \mathbf{e}_r + \ddot \theta \mathbf{e}_\theta) = (\ddot r - r\dot \theta^2)\mathbf{e}_r + (2\dot r \dot \theta + r\ddot \theta)\mathbf{e}_\theta.[/tex]

How did you get the acceleration of the components as r-double-dot and zero?

I understand how you got the general acceleration of r-double dot but not the first part. Sorry it's been like 10 years since I took classical mechanics...

1. What is a coordinate system?

A coordinate system is a mathematical system used to determine the position of a point in space. It consists of a set of axes, usually labeled x, y, and z, that intersect at a point called the origin. The position of a point is determined by its distance and direction from the origin along each axis.

2. What is an arbitrary coordinate system?

An arbitrary coordinate system is a coordinate system that is chosen based on convenience or preference, rather than being based on any physical or mathematical properties. It can be any type of coordinate system, such as Cartesian, polar, or spherical.

3. Why is visualizing an arbitrary coordinate system important?

Visualizing an arbitrary coordinate system can help us understand the relationships between different points and their positions in space. It can also aid in solving mathematical problems and analyzing data in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and geography.

4. Can you provide an example of visualizing an arbitrary coordinate system?

An example of visualizing an arbitrary coordinate system could be plotting the location of cities on a map using latitude and longitude coordinates. This allows us to see the relative positions of different cities and understand their distances from each other.

5. How can I create a visual representation of an arbitrary coordinate system?

There are various tools and software programs available that can help create visual representations of arbitrary coordinate systems. Some popular options include graphing calculators, spreadsheet programs, and specialized software for specific fields such as GIS (Geographic Information System) software for mapping and analyzing geographical data.