Voltage divider with offset

In summary, the author is working on a project to read automotive battery voltage and is looking for a simpler resistor divider circuit. They found that it had good linearity from 10-20V and will use a multiturn trimpot for R3 and a 1/4W metal film resistor for R1. The author is limited for space and is trying to keep component count down, so they are using a precision reference (an LT1004-2.5V bandgap reference diode) and an op amp with a very linear OP77FP. They set R5 so that the middle of
Rx7man
I'm working on an Arduino project to read automotive battery voltage,.. I could use a simple resistor divider circuit, but I'd lose a lot of resolution (you aren't going to see <8V very often)..
Could anyone take a look at this and tell me if it's a reasonable method?..

Channel A (Blue) is 5V/div
Channel C (Red) is 10V/div
Frequency is 1khz, which is plenty fast enough for what I need

It seems to have good linearity from 10-20V, I will use a multiturn trimpot for R3, 1/4W metal film resistor for R1
It should give me a resolution of about .015V in the working range, I'm fine with that.
Is there anything I'm missing that could come back and bite me in the arse?

Voltage divider with offset.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think a zener diode is precise enough to do what you want. Temperature changes will bite you in the butt. You could use a precision reference or a plain old voltage regulator and feed an op amp with both the reference and the divided down sample voltage for a differential amplifier. Set the gain of the amp so you get the range you want. I suppose the alternative would be to use the zener but run it pretty hot to minimize external temperature effects. You will obviously not be using resistor values that you have chosen and will be wasting some power. There are some precision references that are used in circuit similar to a zener diode. That could also work depending on whether or not they are available at the offset you need. If you want a true offset you cannot have the pot where you have it placed when using a zener type device. It will not only have offset but will form a divider. When you dial the pot to correct for the offset you have also changed the ratio of the voltage divider.

Likes Rx7man
Thank you, exactly the kind of bite-my-arse things I wanted to know about...
In this instance I can afford to put some power through it, I changed R1 to 57Ω and trimpot to 100Ω fixed resistor.. This yields about the same curve, but increases the current through D1 to about 200mw average and 50mA

I'm really limited for space for breadboarding this together, which is part of the reason I am trying to keep component count down.
How drastic would the temperature change this? It's primarily for display purposes, though in the distant future it could be for charge control as well, Is the penalty of decreased resolution (20V/1024 = 19mv) from a plain resistor divider going to pay off in thermal stability? It's kinda looking like it to me (and the bonus of even simpler)

I tried referencing the lower leg of R3 to ground instead of the wiper, but what I found was it really affected the linearity in the lower range

Here, Is this more like what you had in mind @Averagesupernova ?
Voltage divider with offset OpAmp.jpg

The 2.5V supply would actually be an LT1004-2.5V bandgap reference diode which I just happen to have, though I don't have a model for it http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/1004fb.pdf
The op amp I would use is a very linear OP77FP, 140dB gain, 130db CMRR/PSRR (I happen to have some)

That looks about right. Set R5 so that the middle of the range you want to measure will put 2.5 volts on the non inverting input. Set R1 to put the range you want to measure within the useable range of the op amps output. Once you have everything dialed in, get rid of the pots and use fixed resistors. Use precision if you think you need them.

Likes Rx7man
Averagesupernova said:
Use precision if you think you need them.

The difference in price between 5% and 1% is so small just go for the 1% ones. Even though they are almost double the price they are pennies either way. Unless of course you are making this in bulk. Then it will be a consideration.

BoB

They're so cheap I bought a 1500pc metal film 1% just to have them in stock. I'm not planning on making this in bulk
Thanks for the advice

Important Tip -- it is bad design practice to have the wiper of a potentiometer go into the input of an opamp.

Quiz Question -- Why? :smile:

Quiz Question #2 -- What value of Zener diode has almost zero tempco? :smile:

I'd love to know the answer to both!

For #1, I can take a stab at it.. If the wiper would somehow fail, it would leave the op-amp input floating?

Rx7man said:
For #1, I can take a stab at it.. If the wiper would somehow fail, it would leave the op-amp input floating?
Nope, but it's not an obvious point at all. I learned the reason many moons ago after I had a potentiometer circuit like yours fail after working fine for over a year. Turns out that potentiometers have a minimum wiper current that is required to keep the contact from corroding. The minimum current is often over what is drawn by opamp inputs (especially FET opamp inputs). Here is the place that I finally found that described:

http://www.bourns.com/docs/default-document-library/bourns_trimmer_primer.pdf

And on #2, try doing a Google search on Zener Diode Tempco and see what the graphs or tables say... Turns out the Zener value with the minimum tempco is just about what you need for your battery offset circuit... :smile:

Good read, and I'm going to have to keep it handy for reference.. So from what I see in there my shot in the dark was pretty accurate.. connecting to the wiper alone could cause a floating and unpredictable failure where the output of the op amp could damage downstream devices

I've found something from Micro Semiconductors on Zener tempco.. I'll read it in a bit and study it, and see how temp drift would affect me in this instance

berkeman said:
Quiz Question #2 -- What value of Zener diode has almost zero tempco?
It depends on the manufacture and material, but silicon is usually quoted at about 5.5 volts.
The problem comes in specifying the reverse current used to characterise the zener voltage and the current then used to operate the diode in a real circuit.

So if temperature stability were your goal (more than cost), you'd be better to get a 15V Zener by putting 3x 5V Zeners in series, or a 2x 3V and a 10V depending on the thermal characteristics.. Is that ever done?

Rx7man said:
Is that ever done?
Not often used. Better to use a zero tempco current from a TI REF200 or an LM334 current reference with a diode.

If you want for example, a B+ range from 10V to 15V with full resolution, then you must subtract 10V from B+ and use the 0 to +5V range of the A-D converter.

But, you may have some flexibility with the Vhi and Vlo reference points of the microcontroller's A-D converter.
Say you use a 1:3 ratio attenuator made from three identical resistors. When B+ = 15V you will have +5V to the converter. When B+ = 10V you will get 3.333V to the A-D converter. If you then use Vhi at +5V and Vlo at +3.333V you have the extended range with full resolution.
Depending on the impedance of the A-D converter reference inputs, you may produce the 3.333V by using another three identical resistors.

Now we're going far more into this than I think is necessary for the particular application, but I'm learning a lot and enjoying it...
With many A-D convertors, you can't set the Vhi and Vlo for individual inputs, perhaps for a bank (or all) of them it's possible.
Many controllers also have a regulated 3.3V pin as well as the 5V supply, for simplicities sake you could maybe use that as an alternate reference point. I think in most cases you're probably best off pulling the 5V reference power from the microcontroller power (since it's usually linked to that analog Vhi reference), so that changes in supply power are compensated in the ADC.. As for the V-lo pin, Would that usually be called A-Gnd? I'm not sure if all microcontrollers like to have that pin at a significantly different voltage than the rest of the grounds. I do like the idea of it though.. Some controllers have a differential analog input that you could use for the resistor bridge you mentioned as well.

I mentioned the LT1004 reference diode earlier because I have several, they're available in 1.200V and 2.500V

I've been poring over that Bournes pot tutorial posted earlier.. I'm at a bit of a loss at how to avoid connecting the wiper directly to the op-amp when you need a voltage divider... I've gone through my circuit and added another op-amp, and a few other things..

U1A controls the response slope alone, not perfect, but it's fed by a 6.8V limited supply, which clips the output around 5.3V, giving the microcontroller a fighting chance if someone messes up while adjusting. (like that would ever happen)
U2A controls the offset voltage alone, the 1.2V reference is a battery in this case, in reality it'll be the 1.2V LT1004 or similar reference

I'll be able to tweak the trimpot values a little with external resistors
Voltage divider with offset OpAmp x2.jpg

It looks like you've fixed the trimpot issue. :smile:

I'd be inclined to do this simply with a 5.1V Zener diode (hint-hint) as the reference, and a voltage divider with 1% resistors for the other side of the differential subtraction opamp stage. Sorry if I missed it in your posts -- what is your desired accuracy? And can you just calibrate it a bit in your uC code?

Yes, the code would certainly have to re-map the values, which is trivially difficult.
Here's what I consider "as good as it needs to be" for my purposes... 7-17V full scale with decent linearity, full clipping at 5.1V.. I changed the final op-amp to a higher quality one and it really helped the linearity.

I might just be getting the hang of this!

Voltage divider with offset OpAmp x3.jpg

Here is a simple circuit that uses Vcc = +5V, along with 4 identical resistors and two identical PNPs to subtract 10 volts from the battery voltage. It produces a 0 to 5 volt Vout.

Subtract 2Vcc.png

Likes Rx7man
Interesting... so V1 is your variable source voltage, V2 is fixed 5V?

I'll have to draw that up and play with it a little :)

Rx7man said:
Interesting... so V1 is your variable source voltage, V2 is fixed 5V?
Yes. V1 is swept from 10V to 15V.

The Q2 emitter is held at Vcc = 5 volts.
Q2 is connected as a super-diode that will have a very similar Vbe to Q1.
The Q1 emitter is therefore also held close to +5V.
R1 sources a current = ( Vbatt – 5V ) / 10k
R2 sinks a current +5V / 10k

The difference current flows through R3.
Vout = 10k * ( ( ( Vbatt – 5V ) / 10k) – ( +5V / 10k ) )
Vout = Vbatt – 5V – 5V

Likes Rx7man
Here is a similar circuit that uses an op-amp to eliminate the temperature variation between transistors.
scale5.png

And another that uses a 1.235V reference to subtract 10 volts from B+. Use a "rail to rail" op-amp to get close to ground.

scale_7.png

Wow, I have lots to mull over!

1. What is a voltage divider with offset?

A voltage divider with offset is an electrical circuit that divides a voltage into smaller fractions while also adding a constant offset to the output voltage. It is typically used to generate a reference voltage for electronic circuits or to bias a transistor amplifier.

2. How does a voltage divider with offset work?

A voltage divider with offset consists of two resistors in series, with the output taken from the junction between the resistors. The offset is achieved by adding a third resistor in parallel with one of the resistors, which creates a voltage drop across the resistor and adds a fixed voltage to the output. The output voltage is calculated using the voltage divider formula, taking into account the added offset voltage.

3. What is the purpose of using a voltage divider with offset?

A voltage divider with offset is mainly used to create a reference voltage for electronic circuits. By adjusting the values of the resistors and the offset voltage, a specific reference voltage can be generated. This is useful for setting biasing levels, controlling the gain of an amplifier, or providing a stable voltage for other electronic components.

4. What are the key factors to consider when designing a voltage divider with offset?

The key factors to consider when designing a voltage divider with offset include the desired output voltage, the input voltage, the values of the resistors, and the tolerance of the resistors. The values of the resistors should be chosen carefully to ensure the desired output voltage is achieved, and the tolerance of the resistors should be taken into account to ensure the accuracy of the output voltage.

5. What are the limitations of a voltage divider with offset?

One of the limitations of a voltage divider with offset is that it is sensitive to changes in the input voltage. Any fluctuations in the input voltage will also affect the output voltage. Additionally, the offset voltage may also drift over time, which can impact the accuracy of the output voltage. Careful selection of components and regular calibration can help mitigate these limitations.