Voltage Multiplier Circuit Design

In summary, the individual has made a 3 stage voltage multiplier and is using an input of 120 V AC from an outlet. The output they are getting is 120 V DC, which is not consistent with the theoretical output of 500 V DC from the equation Vout(dc) = Vin(ac)*sqrt(2)*number of stages. They are seeking insight and suggestions for increasing the DC output. However, due to their lack of hands-on experience with high voltages and AC mains, the conversation is closed as it is considered too dangerous.
a15m
I have made a 3 stage voltage multiplier. My input is from the outlet so 120 V ac. I measure my output from the first and last capacitors of the bottom row as shown in the image. The output I am getting is 120 V dc. From the equation Vout(dc) = Vin(ac)*sqrt(2)*number of stages. With this equation I should be getting around 500 V dc theoretically. I am not sure what is going on, anybody have any insight? Thank in advance.

Attachments

• Circuit.png
    Circuit.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 629
Engineering news on Phys.org
Look more like a 3 stage diode fryer. I assume you are simulating this and have not actually built anything.

Where did that circuit and equation come from?

If you google voltage multiplier circuit that is the circuit that comes up. You can check it out here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_multiplier

The equation I don't remember what source but it was from a google search also.

Do you have any suggestions if I am inputting ac to multiply 3 or 4 times to get dc output?

a15m said:
I have made a 3 stage voltage multiplier. My input is from the outlet so 120 V ac. I measure my output from the first and last capacitors of the bottom row as shown in the image. The output I am getting is 120 V dc. From the equation Vout(dc) = Vin(ac)*sqrt(2)*number of stages. With this equation I should be getting around 500 V dc theoretically. I am not sure what is going on, anybody have any insight? Thank in advance.

a15m said:
If you google voltage multiplier circuit that is the circuit that comes up. You can check it out here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_multiplier

The equation I don't remember what source but it was from a google search also.

Do you have any suggestions if I am inputting ac to multiply 3 or 4 times to get dc output?

What is your background and level of knowledge/experience in electronics? How much have you worked with AC Mains and high voltages in the past? What you are doing is dangerous.

I have theoretical experience but not any hands on. I have worked with high voltage power supplies but not with AC mains.

My actual goal is to take a neon sign transformer which gives me 9500 V and put it through my multiplier to get close to 40,000 V dc to power a vacuum tube.

a15m said:
I have theoretical experience but not any hands on. I have worked with high voltage power supplies but not with AC mains.

My actual goal is to take a neon sign transformer which gives me 9500 V and put it through my multiplier to get close to 40,000 V dc to power a vacuum tube.

I'm sorry, but with that level of experience, this is too dangerous for us to offer you help. Thread is closed.

1. What is a voltage multiplier circuit?

A voltage multiplier circuit is an electronic circuit that uses diodes and capacitors to multiply an input voltage to a higher output voltage. It works by storing energy in the capacitors during the positive half-cycle of the input voltage and then releasing it in the negative half-cycle. This process repeats, resulting in a higher output voltage.

2. What are the different types of voltage multiplier circuits?

There are two main types of voltage multiplier circuits: the Cockcroft-Walton multiplier and the Villard cascade multiplier. The Cockcroft-Walton multiplier uses a series of diodes and capacitors to multiply the input voltage, while the Villard cascade multiplier uses a combination of diodes and capacitors in parallel and series configurations to achieve a higher output voltage.

3. What are the advantages of using a voltage multiplier circuit?

One advantage of using a voltage multiplier circuit is that it can produce a higher output voltage without the need for a transformer. This makes it a cost-effective solution for high voltage applications. Additionally, voltage multiplier circuits have a simple design and can handle high voltages and currents, making them suitable for a variety of electronic devices.

4. What are the limitations of voltage multiplier circuits?

One limitation of voltage multiplier circuits is that they are not suitable for high-frequency applications due to the capacitive reactance of the capacitors used in the circuit. Additionally, voltage multiplier circuits can produce high levels of ripple voltage, which may require additional filtering components. They also have a limited output current capacity and may not be able to provide a stable output voltage under varying load conditions.

5. How do I design a voltage multiplier circuit?

The design of a voltage multiplier circuit involves selecting the appropriate values for the capacitors and diodes used in the circuit. The number of stages in the multiplier also affects the output voltage. It is important to consider the input voltage, desired output voltage, and load requirements when designing a voltage multiplier circuit. Simulation tools and circuit analysis techniques can also be used to optimize the design and ensure proper functioning of the circuit.